• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

The amount of chatter on twitter about SSW's has become completely out of control. A lot of it seems to be from clueless mets and hobbyists who think cold weather in March matters for traders/energy consumption etc. Holy Cow.  Just so much hype and tracking every little fart emanating from some polar bear in Scandinavia and tracking it's vertical flux into the stratosphere. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I feel like its starting to become irrelevant...by the time it happens (if it does at all), it will be too late to matter a whole lot...maybe it will extend a winter pattern in late March...certainly possible. I suppose if it goes bonkers in the next week, maybe we will reap some rewards earlier in early March. But right now, the stratosphere looks frigid. Maybe the warming the Euro shows after the split vortex out beyond D5 will happen...I dunno.

I don't know too much about those...just saw it as a decent possibility late this season because of the analogs.

New York Metrowx seems think it will have fast impacts...which seems suspect given the ice cold nature of the stratosphere currently.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't know too much about those...just saw it as a decent possibility late this season because of the analogs.

New York Metrowx seems think it will have fast impacts...which seems suspect given the ice cold nature of the stratosphere currently.

doesn't stay icy cold much longer, here  is a link for ya

http://www.geo.fu-berlin.de/en/met/ag/strat/produkte/winterdiagnostics/

It's a w2 upwell split (after w1 downwell preconditioning already) so the coupling is quite a bit stronger here. It's not so much temperatures; geopotential height alterations are more important. I think we'll see a fairly rapid response aided partially by MJO and AAM changes later this month, such that cooler air relative to normal begins returning toward the last week of Feb. I'm very much interested in the last week of Feb into early March. I've been on the +NAO winter train from the start, but I do believe we'll induce a legitimate -NAO signal beginning late month. The next 10-15 days will be on the warm side to occasionally torch IMO.

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

It's a w2 upwell split (after w1 downwell preconditioning already) so the coupling is quite a bit stronger here. It's not so much temperatures; geopotential height alterations are more important. I think we'll see a fairly rapid response aided partially by MJO and AAM changes later this month, such that cooler air relative to normal begins returning toward the last week of Feb. I'm very much interested in the last week of Feb into early March. I've been on the +NAO winter train from the start, but I do believe we'll induce a legitimate -NAO signal beginning late month. The next 10-15 days will be on the warm side to occasionally torch IMO.

I have been since November.

I'll take your word for it on that, I'm no strat. expert...all I know is that my analogs implied a Feb SSW that would fuel a resurgence of winter.

Watch the first two weeks of March....glad the early Jan window worked, lets hope this one pans out.

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Earthlight thinks that this is legit and will change the pattern to a very active and potentially snowy one come late February into March.

Yep, I posted his New York Metro Weather article on the SSW a couple of days ago. It will be interesting to see what effects (if any) it will have on sensible weather over the next several weeks.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ah.. annual time of year change when the focus turns to Maine ski trip

That's already booked, we ski Berkshire East Fri and slowly move our way North with the season, no dummy here. Killington Okemo got smoked last night 16 plus. Both on the agenda, probably Cannon, maybe a Ragged day, Wildcat for sure. As the sun rises so does the ash of an old man

45 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We live where roads are paved.  No such thing as mud.

Potholes have been filled with the thaw, fortunately.

Cold rain coming Wednesday for sure.

Wish we were there. We have 6” of ice pack outside, a skateable driveway, frostheaves the size of Mt Tolland, 6-10” on the way, and no sign of improvement anytime soon.

Archived