Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I’m not sure we can get a ridge this strong again though.  Thats the issue more than anything is it requires insanely high heights and even with that they didn’t hit 80 

Maybe with earlier clearing and a slightly more favorable wind direction, NYC would have had a shot today?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bluewave said:
Allentown and Reading have both hit 80 degrees. This is the first time any of our climate sites have hit 80 degrees in the month of February. Note: In the table sent out this morning, the February all time records for Mt. Pocono and Reading were reversed. #njwx #dewx #pawx #mdwx pic.twitter.com/nL04gsWOhh

While it is nice out, I had to wear a tropical shirt for my lunch hour walk and felt hot with khakis on. This is depressingly disturbing. It should never be 80 in Feb. I ask the warmth lovers, if it was snowing a few inches in July, would you be so nonchalant about it? Or would you think there is something radically wrong? Whatever it does the rest of this winter ( and I have my doubts about any snow, I know what people are posting here but I have read other opinions where not much serious impact is predicted in our region, can't comment further because I don't know the science, I'm up front about that ) the fact will be that it hit 80 in the dead of winter. When will it hit 90?

23 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

While it is nice out, I had to wear a tropical shirt for my lunch hour walk and felt hot with khakis on. This is depressingly disturbing. It should never be 80 in Feb. I ask the warmth lovers, if it was snowing a few inches in July, would you be so nonchalant about it? Or would you think there is something radically wrong? Whatever it does the rest of this winter ( and I have my doubts about any snow, I know what people are posting here but I have read other opinions where not much serious impact is predicted in our region, can't comment further because I don't know the science, I'm up front about that ) the fact will be that it hit 80 in the dead of winter. When will it hit 90?

We’re not in the July equivalent month of winter, we’re really on the cusp of August/September. And snow during that period would be far more extreme than 80 in February, in the summer our temperatures generally don’t deviate far from average, winter sees much wilder swings. It’d probably take a cataclysmic event for it to snow in the summer.

Not downplaying 80 in February, it’s significant. It’d be like EWR or LGA hitting 110 in July.

Record Temperatures for February 21, 2018 (as of 4 pm):

Albany: 71° (old record: 65°, 1981)
Allentown: 80° (old record: 67°, 1930 and 1953) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 77°, 2/24/2017)***
Atlantic City: 76° (old record: 67°, 1994 and 2016) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 75°, 2/24/1985)***
Baltimore: 79° (old record: 74°, 1930)
Binghamton: 69° (old record: 61°, 1953)
Boston: 72° (old record: 63°, 1906)
Bridgeport: 63° (old record: 59°, 2002)
Burlington: 69° (old record: 59°, 1981)
Concord: 74° (old record: 64°, 1872) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 69°, 2/24/2017)***
Danbury: 77° (old record: 64°, 1953) ***Tied All-Time February Record set on 2/16/1954***
Harrisburg: 79°, (old record: 71°, 1997) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 78°, 2/27/1997)***
Hartford: 74° (old record: 63°, 1930) ***New All-Time February Record from (old record: 73°, 2/24/1985)***
New Haven: 61° (old record: 58°, 2002)
New York City:
…JFK: 64° (old record: 63°, 2002)
…LGA: 78° (old record: 68°, 1953) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 74°, 2/15/1949)***
…NYC: 78° (old record: 68°, 1930)***New All-Time February Record (old record: 75°, 2/25/1930 and 2/24/1985)***
Newark: 80° (old record: 69°, 1953) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 76°, 2/15/1949)***
Philadelphia: 77° (old record: 72°, 1930)
Portland: 67° (old record: 59°, 1953) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 64°, 2/27/1957)
Poughkeepsie: 76° (old record: 67°, 1953) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 73°, 2/28/1997 and 2/24/2017)***
Providence: 64° (old record: 63°, 1930)
Richmond: 79° (old record: 75°, 1930)
Salisbury: 75° (tied record set in 1943)
Sterling, VA: 80° (old record: 70°, 1997) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 79°, 2/24/1985)***
Syracuse: 74° (old record: 65°, 1953 and 1997) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 71°, 2/24/2017)***
Teterboro: 81° (old record: 65°, 1997) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 74°, 2/24/2017)***
Washington, DC: 82° (old record: 75°, 1953)
White Plains: 77° (old record: 61°, 2002) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 75°, 2/24/1985)***
Wilmington, DE: 78° (old record: 73°, 1953) ***Tied All-Time February Record from 2/25/1930 and 2/24/1985***
Worcester: 71° (old record: 59°, 1930) ***New All-Time February Record (old record: 69°, 2/24/2017)***

16 minutes ago, Cfa said:

We’re not in the July equivalent month of winter, we’re really on the cusp of August/September. And snow during that period would be far more extreme than 80 in February, in the summer our temperatures generally don’t deviate far from average, winter sees much wilder swings. It’d probably take a cataclysmic event for it to snow in the summer.

Not downplaying 80 in February, it’s significant. It’d be like EWR or LGA hitting 110 in July.

How about 50 in july?

32 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

And right on cue, I had my first tick of the season on my clothes today. The very bane of my existence. 

The umber of tick reports yesterday and today is both overwhelming and depressing. Little buggers are flexing their muscles early, this is going to be a devastating year for those of us that spend time outdoors. I'm going to have to strengthen my essential oil cocktail spray ;) 

56 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Well we saw snow in October not too long ago, but we would have to break the all time low for July by like 15 degrees to get snow. It's just not possible. May yes, September slight chance. Not July or August. 

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

If you told me when I was a kid in the 70's that we would ever hit 80 degrees in Feb, I would have thought you were joking. I have seen 60's. But 80 is just disturbing. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

22 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The umber of tick reports yesterday and today is both overwhelming and depressing. Little buggers are flexing their muscles early, this is going to be a devastating year for those of us that spend time outdoors. I'm going to have to strengthen my essential oil cocktail spray ;) 

Between the ticks being out and about, flying insects buzzing in my ears, sweat pouring down my back, and droves of filthy casuals on the trails today, I'm genuinely thinking of becoming an indoors person for the summer. I was sort of excited for today's conditions until I remembered all the reasons why the warm season sucks the big one. :(

I didn't get out in the woods today but did spend the day around the yard and was surprised at the lack of flying insects. Filthy casuals? I do prefer drought periods over wet but spring is always a love/hate time of year. I love getting out as it warms up and the forest is waking up, everything from insects to small critters to flora are all getting their act together and there's a sense of newness and fresh life that I just love. I hate the mud but the rest of it, even the moldy, musty, mildewed leaf mat kind of gets me off. 

Incredibly warm on the UWS right now. It has that muggy mid summer night feel. It’s disturbing to me and I do not like it. If it were early April I would be all about it. This is going to have major negative effects on perennials and early flowering fruit trees. Good thing the temp drops significantly tomorrow or we would be in big trouble...

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Incredibly warm on the UWS right now. It has that muggy mid summer night feel. It’s disturbing to me and I do not like it. If it were early April I would be all about it. This is going to have major negative effects on perennials and early flowering fruit trees. Good thing the temp drops significantly tomorrow or we would be in big trouble...

Disagree; ground temps aren't warm enough to trigger the early flowering trees. I could see hyacinth in the warm spots. But the temps weren't around long enough to get them to push in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, ForestHillWx said:

Disagree; ground temps aren't warm enough to trigger the early flowering trees. I could see hyacinth in the warm spots. But the temps weren't around long enough to get them to push in my opinion. 

I truly hope your correct I have allot on the line with projects I completed last season. 

Ewr 80 is just flat out incredible 

Archived