Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ALEXA said:

Agree it was 2 week winter. i think it's wait till next winter as they say.

huh ? there were multiple snow events in December and we just had one last week - most stations still above normal snowfall and I think they will find a way to stay above normal the rest of the way with an outside chance of ending up much above normal...….

35 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Not sure what point you’re trying to make, but I was just saying that all types of weather can cause death and or destruction, with the exception of 75 degrees and sunny.

I wasn't making a point. Just asking if you remembered that storm, which seems to be relatively forgotten. Since you tend to be interested in rainstorms IIRC.

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Do you remember the 4/2007 rainstorm? WE had to close the local schools. It was a crap year for snow but we still ended up using all our days....2 sleet storms and that rainstorm

dropped 9 inches here...9 inches of rain that is.   Set a record for BDR for the most hourly obs reporting heavy rain....

16 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

huh ? there were multiple snow events in December and we just had one last week - most stations still above normal snowfall and I think they will find a way to stay above normal the rest of the way with an outside chance of ending up much above normal...….

We definitely had winter weather and snow this year, it just wasn't all that epic. Aside from some serious cold the weather wasn't anything special. People would be griping out in the public a lot more if it had been worse. Most people are happy it hasn't snowed too much in IMBY. That sounds weird to us, but that is how most people view snow. They think it's a pain in the neck and quite a few would be happy if they never saw it again. The big news this winter was the sick temps the other day. Sheesh, over 80 at Teterboro.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Yes it was really something, kept hearing sirens all day. The only other times schools closed for weather that wasn't snow related around here was Sandy and I think maybe FLoyd.

Floyd , Sandy , 4/2007 rainstorm - also half days for heat - main reason schools were closed for the 4/2007 rain was flooding and a drowning death in Avenel  - I remember  the T -storm the night that Sunday night loud thunder that set car alarms off

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

We definitely had winter weather and snow this year, it just wasn't all that epic. Aside from some serious cold the weather wasn't anything special. People would be griping out in the public a lot more if it had been worse. Most people are happy it hasn't snowed too much in IMBY. That sounds weird to us, but that is how most people view snow. They think it's a pain in the neck and quite a few would be happy if they never saw it again. The big news this winter was the sick temps the other day. Sheesh, over 80 at Teterboro.

Been a very mild second half.  Post 1/15 there's very few days with BN temps overall...the cold broke and that was it in that dept.  We lucked out with last weekend's snows given the very mild pattern around it.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

The bigger news was the 14 day stretch of below 32 temps and the number of days during that stretch below 20 

4 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I know its out in fantasy land, but check out what the GFS depicts on March 7-8. A slow moving intense snowstorm for parts of our area. Snows for 36 hours. By no means is it a lock, but it shows what the pattern is capable of producing. Should be some sleepless nights coming in the days ahead.

that really does not look like a crazy solution and is one that has to be kept of the table - sometimes the GFS will show a solution it quickly loses in the extended then it reappears on other models down the road

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I wasn't making a point. Just asking if you remembered that storm, which seems to be relatively forgotten. Since you tend to be interested in rainstorms IIRC.

I honestly don’t remember it and my guess is the impacts were less memorable out this way.

7 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Been a very mild second half.  Post 1/15 there's very few days with BN temps overall...the cold broke and that was it in that dept.  We lucked out with last weekend's snows given the very mild pattern around it.

The snow last Saturday was the highest accumulations locally of the season and barring a major hit next week I’ll probably finish well below average.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The snow last Saturday was the highest accumulations locally of the season and barring a major hit next week I’ll probably finish well below average.

wow you got that skunked in the blizzard?    12 here from that plus two 4 inchers and some smaller stuff-we are very close to yearly average.

1 hour ago, NEG NAO said:

not everyone in the Metro 

I was going to say that I’m pretty sure I got below feeezing or very close to it early this morning. Also Sussex and parts of Orange County had icing issues this week. I believe Goshen schools actually closed one day this week due to freezing rain.

37 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Yes, I think I had 4.5” in that “blizzard”.

A storm that made it to the 950s off the Delmarva isn’t that notable? Just because it relatively missed you doesn’t make it any less of a blizzard where it did hit. It was fast moving but there was 14” here and it was absolutely, 100% a blizzard for most of NYC and coastal sections. For hours where I am it was a whiteout. I’ve been skunked many times when 90% of the forum kept snowing. Last March’s massive interior storm was vast majority rain where I live, but doesn’t make it any less of a storm. 

30 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

That was a pretty wimpy excuse for a blizzard overall, even in the jackpot zone. The Boston area flooding and flash freeze was probably the most memorable aspect of the whole ordeal.

LOL, it wasn’t wimpy here whatsoever. I tried to walk 6 blocks to the boardwalk in the height of it and couldn’t because of the insane winds, drifts and intensity of the snow. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

A storm that made it to the 950s off the Delmarva isn’t that notable? Just because it relatively missed you doesn’t make it any less of a blizzard where it did hit. It was fast moving but there was 14” here and it was absolutely, 100% a blizzard for most of NYC and coastal sections. For hours where I am it was a whiteout. I’ve been skunked many times when 90% of the forum kept snowing. Last March’s massive interior storm was vast majority rain where I live, but doesn’t make it any less of a storm. 

have to consider the psychology of this forum - if they don't get theirs it doesn't matter or count what others got

Just now, jm1220 said:

LOL, it wasn’t wimpy here whatsoever. I tried to walk 6 blocks to the boardwalk in the height of it and couldn’t because of the insane winds, drifts and intensity of the snow. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Sour grapes. Worst blizzard conditions I’ve ever experienced. All of the major stations reported blizzard conditions, islip got 16”’of snow and reported visibility down below 1/16 mile. Pretty wimpy.

Archived