Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

5 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Where are you getting the (new and improved)? GFS from? Would like the link if it is available for public consumption. Thanks.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/gmanikin/fv3gfs/fv3images.html

On that page they also mention that there is also a GFS/FV3 plume comparison page, but the link is dead.  I'm not sure if it's gone or just moved somewhere.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I've noticed the wet bias too. Still not done for your area @ hr48. Slowed everything down a little (which can only help)

rgem_ir_eus_49.png

Looks like it has the dry area to the SE of here vs. directly over Ji's house on the other models

38 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just an observation from my neck of the woods but it may bode well for those to my south and east for possible inverted trough snows. Noticed I was getting a stench from the paper mill to my E/SE which didn't make sense considering the surface winds are coming gently from the north at this time. But I have the Utz factory just to my north and noticed from the steam that just above the surface (no more then 25-30 feet above the ground) that we were actually seeing a pretty brisk flow from the east and the odor was mixing down. Might signify that there may be a little more oomph involved with the inverted trough if I am seeing it's effects up here already.

Used to live in New Salem...that stench was AWFUL.  You could tell it was going to start precipitating within 12 hours when it would hang low to the ground.

1 minute ago, MD Snow said:

I think what we are starting to see is little changes at h5 run to run that are beginning to start making some changes at the surface. 

Still not enough for a bigger option but a step towards maximizing the frontal snow. Trend today has been to slow/amplify. GFS verbatim is an ok run for all of us. Eastern shore gets the short end but they'll end up getting hit with the coastal so there's that...lol

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

You guys will love the RGEM extended... I guess it's the same as the CMC run. Both pretty generous...

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

Yeah, from 49 hours on that site shows the GGEM.  To make it even more confusing, at 06z and 18z they show the 06z and 18z RGEM for the first 48 hours, then the 00z and 12z GGEM for 49-120.

The extended RGEM has been pretty consistent though.  Below are the last three runs.  I've removed most of today's light snow from the below plots.  These extended runs should be taken with a big grain of salt, but we're getting close to the point where we're in the RGEM's 48-hour window.

atZ4qkQ.gif

Archived