Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16/17 light snow event.

clskinsfan

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lowershoresadness said:

we need a Bob Chill day where we take him to a MD football game and get hammered after they lose by 50 points

Ha! That's the old Bob Chill. The new one doesn't drink any more. I'm still crazy AF but I'll be the DD and get everyone home safe. haha

@clskinsfan

The NAM's are putting you in a mountain shadow. It's possible but this front is SW flow with jet support. I don't think there's going to be a pronounced shadow in the lee of the ridges. You may get nothing but not the way the NAMs do it imho. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Ha! That's the old Bob Chill. The new one doesn't drink any more. I'm still crazy AF but I'll be the DD and get everyone home safe. haha

@clskinsfan

The NAM's are putting you in a mountain shadow. It's possible but this front is SW flow with jet support. I don't think there's going to be a pronounced shadow in the lee of the ridges. You may get nothing but not the way the NAMs do it imho. 

Fair enough. I shall be wearing by Diggs jersey

A lot of folks know this but we throw around the term IVT or inverted trough a lot. Here's what they look like. This is a weak one but the principle is always the same. There's a "ridge like" bend or "bending back" of the surface pressure isobars off the delmarva. Basically the opposite of what a trough looks like and that's why it's called "inverted". 

This bend of lower pressure to the W or NW can generate precipitation. Sometimes fairly intense over a small area. Not the case on the panel below but it's the same mechanism. Departing lows interacting with approaching troughs can sometimes jackpot a small area with solid snow or rain. Whenever you see the term inverted trough around here look as surface panels and they will become obvious. 

nam3km_ref_frzn_neus_8.png

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

A lot of folks know this but we throw around the term IVT or inverted trough a lot. Here's what they like. This is a weak one but the principle is always the same. There's a "ridge like" bend or "bending back" of the surface pressure isobars off the delmarva. Basically the opposite of what a trough looks like and that's why it's called "inverted". 

This bend of lower pressure to the W or NW can generate precipitation. Sometimes fairly intense over a small area. Not the case on the panel below but it's the same mechanism. Departing lows interacting with approaching troughs can sometimes jackpot a small area with solid snow or rain. Whenever you see the term inverted trough around here look as surface panels and they will become obvious. 

3k gives me almost 1" today!  I'd laugh at it more if the 3k carried the older version's crazy precip bias.  

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

A lot of folks know this but we throw around the term IVT or inverted trough a lot. Here's what they like. This is a weak one but the principle is always the same. There's a "ridge like" bend or "bending back" of the surface pressure isobars off the delmarva. Basically the opposite of what a trough looks like and that's why it's called "inverted". 

Not that I believe it, but the 3k drops around an inch from the ivt today.

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Baltimore City for the win

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I mean I doubt it, but I believe it slightly more than I would the older NAM.  Still not a lot though.  Clouds have filled in overhead though...

Most other Mesos have something as well. Location differs a tad, but suggestive of a possible coating here and there.

7 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

The NAM twins are being very kind to me this morning, allowing that jackpotted area in Pennsylvania to nose down I-81 into northern Berkeley County.  Its a razor-sharp gradient and very tenuous.

Tight gradient is right. Doesnt really make down to me. I am hugging the RGEM. :)

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Most other Mesos have something as well. Location differs a tad, but suggestive of a possible coating here and there.

High-res RGEM hasn't shown anything yet.  We'll see what it says at 12z, but could be an interesting test to see how it does.

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

That's a tad ugly no thanks lol

I'm not buying the Nams depiction of the ridges stealing the show. I'll prob go down with the ship on this but this isn't the type of event where you see a big lee shadow like what the nams are showing. At least in my mind I see it that way. 

Archived