Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

NYC saw a few inches in January 2015, as they might on Thursday, which fits what I said perfectly.

Secondly, the RPM, NAM and GGEM are LOL worthy. If the NAM still has that solution tomorrow night I might believe it. The UKIE is a respectable model, but it's on the Western periphery of the guidance envelop and still mostly a miss West of the city. The RGEM is also a respectable model, but it's been jumping around a lot, and we're still on the outer edges of its useful range.

To quote a friend of mine, models should be used as tools for forecasting, they don't make the forecast. The upper air pattern doesn't lie. The closed 500mb vort is 50-100 miles too far East and no significant changes have occured. All the pieces are well sampled at this point, and we're running out of time. If you live on Long Island or in Eastern New England, congrats, this is your storm. If you live in NYC proper or close, a few inches are possible. North and West of the NJ TPK look to see very little.

I'm going to trust mesoscale models from now. I don't see why the nam or ggem are LOL worthy quite frankly. The Euro and GFS are still trying to deal with the dynamics of this storm and both have been less than stellar lately. The upper air pattern and dynamics are still being figured out by models and mesoscale models have time and time again been able to do a better job with the details within this time frame. Looking at all models and ensembles I fully expect to get a 2-4 type of event in the hudson valley.  

1 minute ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I'm going to trust mesoscale models from now. I don't see why the nam or ggem are LOL worthy quite frankly. The Euro and GFS are still trying to deal with the dynamics of this storm and both have been less than stellar lately. The upper air pattern and dynamics are still being figured out by models and mesoscale models have time and time again been able to do a better job with the details within this time frame. Looking at all models and ensembles I fully expect to get a 2-4 type of event in the hudson valley.  

I think the mesos may have an edge sensing the latent heat release and height rises from all the convection. Still think this continues to edge west until go-time.

Just now, HeadInTheClouds said:

The model verification scores speak for themselves. I think you'll find that the Euro outclasses them all, and it's not even close.

Forecasting is about more than looking at pretty colors, it's about understanding the science and using the models as a tool to make a forecast rather than taking them literally. The RPM and NAM will be useful tomorrow night in order to depict where the heaviest banding should setup, that's what they were designed to do.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I think the mesos may have an edge sensing the latent heat release and height rises from all the convection. Still think this continues to edge west until go-time.

The globals are really treating this storm as more of a hybrid/subtropical entity, which I think is throwing off the precip totals. 

You can see that in the EPS mean, in a system like this those totals should be a lot higher over eastern LI and New England. 

22 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

I am not saying that the Euro is wrong on this one.  But you do realize that even as the snow began to fall with the Blizzard of 2016, the Euro was the one model that refused to cave to a snowy solution for the area.  Similarly, with the Blizzard of 2015, the Euro was the last model showing the two to three feet of snow for NYC and massively busted.  And, as I read twitter, many mets are throwing it out.  I'm not a pro met by any means, and the Euro certainly has some support for a swing and a miss here, but the Euro has been pretty bad lately, particularly with these big storms.

The Euro had no support for that January 15 storm from its ensembles really and it was a highl convoluted setup which is why really only the UKIE got that right out of all models.  This setup is tricky too but the Euro ensembles are at least closer.  I think it’s probably too low on QPF for sure but not by a ton as the track currently stands 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The model verification scores speak for themselves. I think you'll find that the Euro outclasses them all, and it's not even close.

Forecasting is about more than looking at pretty colors, it's about understanding the science and using the models as a tool to make a forecast rather than taking them literally. The RPM and NAM will be useful tomorrow night in order to depict where the heaviest banding should setup, that's what they were designed to do.

You seem to be quite full of yourself and please don't lecture me on forecasting. You seem to be taking the Euro literally and ignoring other forms of guidance especially when that guidance is within it's useful range. The Nam has been quite useful within the 48 hour time frame and the GGEM has also performed better since it's upgrade. If you want to hug the Euro and GooFuS and ignore other models be my guest. BTW I do agree that the greater impacts are going to be eastern long island and NE obviously but that doesn't mean this is going to be a 2015 scenario in the HV where I didn't get a flake. 

11 minutes ago, Enigma said:

EPS mean looks like a good first guess for snow accumulations.

They looks fine for the city west. But way underdone on the east end and eastern NE. A low that deep and still deepening is going to have much better dynamics and totals then that. This is not an occluding dying low.  

2 minutes ago, SnowBlitzkrieg said:

going with the "yanksfan rule" for this one. whenever he says it's not going to snow i get a foot. 

First of all you live out on Central Long Island, it's a completely different ball game for you. 

Secondly, never said it wasn't going to snow. Perhaps read a bit closer next time.

Archived