Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4th 2018 Fish Bomb

Rjay

1 minute ago, mike1984 said:

Why isn’t it phasing? Is that what we need to keep it west?

It’s also a fine line between kicking/phasing.  DT showed in his video yesterday in 2000 the incoming trof took a slightly further SSE motion vs ESE and it ultimately kicked the storm NNE up the coast.  A phase doesn’t necessarily need to happen.  A piece of energy like that can also move more southerly forcing the low east of it to move move north 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bob Chill in the MA forum pretty much nailed it.  The 18Z GFS may just be a head fake.  It more or less chose to pick the closest of the 3 lows to “build the system” around which caused everything to go west.  I’m not convinced it’s anything more than just another out to lunch GFS solution although this is often the window where the GFS starts trying to join the Euro/RGEM/UKMET 

can already see our low-level circulation to the south of miami.  there is likely to be a nice blowup of convection near and e/ne of that low during the overnight period...right over the gulf stream.

grayson.thumb.gif.122c6142edd129b1e6955d0446af58d1.gif

edit: this gif is probably too big to loop as embedded, but if you click on it you can see what I'm talking about much more clearly...

1 minute ago, mikem81 said:

Juno was a Miller B that re-developed 75 miles east of the model track. This is a miller A coming up the coast. Slightly different 

Other than snow gradient maybe being similar it’s not close.  I’m not sure off hand of any system similar to this.  2/25/99 doesn’t count because it formed too far north and sort of backed in and there will be places in New England and probably here that see more snow than they did from that.  I don’t remember anything that developed in the Bahamas and even produced big snow for Long Island 

17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

See how the trough is kicking the storm East instead of phasing it in? Think of it like a golf club hitting a golf ball.

sketched_5a4c01d17034e.png

As per the 18z GFS initialization, this piece of energy that acts as a kicker was over the western Northern Territories at 18z. It gets sheared out and absolutely races southeastward just in time to kick the low eastward.

For a bigger storm further west, we want that piece to be either slower so as to allow the southern S/W time to pump the heights north of it so it can head more due north or a combination of this s/w being faster and the southern wave being slower so it can phase with the southern piece and REALLY go crazy.

I'd say there's a more likely chance of the former than the latter at this point. That's the best chance for most in this sub forum I believe... please feel free to correct me if I am wrong 

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Other than snow gradient maybe being similar it’s not close.  I’m not sure off hand of any system similar to this.  2/25/99 doesn’t count because it formed too far north and sort of backed in and there will be places in New England and probably here that see more snow than they did from that.  I don’t remember anything that developed in the Bahamas and even produced big snow for Long Island 

March 2009 ?

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

A or B, we are due for a bust in our favor for a change.  just sayin'

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

18z GGEM went way east. Like a lot have said on this forum will be a while before this is ironed out. May be up till the event.

18z GEFS?

It did the reverse of what the GFS did.  It picked the furthest east of the tons of different lows to center the storm around.  The GFS seemed to center it around the furthest west one 

If I had to guess right now I’d go with 1-3” 25 miles or more west of NYC and west of the Jersey shore, 3-5” in the city, 4-7” western half of LI and 7-10” eastern half. Hopefully the 0z runs later amp things up more. But to me it’s looking like an eastern New England crushing and west of there a decent glancing blow. 

Archived