Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 4th Coastal

H2O

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The euro just made the GFS look brilliant for not wavering day after day after day. GFS could end up being a big winner on this one. I wonder if DT will admit that....nah...

GFS is the new king , all hail the GFS   ( disclaimer - previous statement subject to change at any time )  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

The euro just made the GFS look brilliant for not wavering day after day after day. GFS could end up being a big winner on this one. I wonder if DT will admit that....nah...

Like I said, GFS is a better model than is often given credit for being. Everyone seems to remember the Euro victories but never its loses.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Don't sweat it Mappy. Huge shift west while running up to OBX and then it takes a hard turn right. I do wonder though if I can convince my wife of a road trip up to Cape Cod. Looks like the odds are good they get hammered.

I'm not sweating anything, it went west :lol:

Just now, Ji said:

It's only west if precip went west too....so it's not west

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

okay, weenie. 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Like I said, GFS is a better model than is often given credit for being. Everyone seems to remember the Euro victories but never its loses.

Don't disagree at all. GFS can struggle with coastals sometimes so when it was alone it was hard to bite. Now the gfs/ukie/euro look similar. If the current gfs/euro verifies then it's major props to the GFS and I won't forget it. It's always hard to bite when one of the major globals doesn't agree. Happens often. Eventually, they all end up looking the same and that's when you can feel confident. I don't like what I see but I'm becoming confident that the major details are resolved. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't disagree at all. GFS can struggle with coastals sometimes so when it was alone it was hard to bite. Now the gfs/ukie/euro look similar. If the current gfs/euro verifies then it's major props to the GFS and I won't forget it. It's always hard to bite when one of the major globals doesn't agree. Happens often. Eventually, they all end up looking the same and that's when you can feel confident. I don't like what I see but I'm becoming confident that the major details are resolved. 

So that's it Bob. you think the forecast is set in stone?

No changes in store for the Baltimore or DC area. We trust the GFS and the Euro 36 to 48 hours out?

Just now, frd said:

So that's it Bob. you think the forecast is set in stone?

No changes in store for the Baltimore or DC area. We trust the GFS and the Euro 36 to 48 hours out?

No, I don't think it's set in stone. Proximity to the low can't rule out last minute changes. However, the 3 major globals agree for the first time. I would say the likelyhood of what they show today has gone up considerably though. Don't get me wrong, I want the RGEM (or CMC) to be right too but right now it sure doesn't look like they will be. When the gfs/euro/ukie agree at 48 hour leads it's usually a good sign that things are mostly resolved. I don't think anyone will deny that over time. 

@H2O storm mode back on? :lol:   

From one of the mets in the SE forum:

"So heres sign #1 that this is going to overperform..  Odessa & Midland, TX are seeing snow right now, and its been snowing for the last 2-3 hours.  Per Midland NWS twitter some areas have a dusting.  No models showed this, not even the 12z NAM 3km or the most recent HRRR run.  They showed a blip of snow possible in Central TX,  but nothing in far West TX.  Thought that was interesting."

4 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

"So heres sign #1 that this is going to overperform..  Odessa & Midland, TX are seeing snow right now, and its been snowing for the last 2-3 hours.  Per Midland NWS twitter some areas have a dusting.  No models showed this, not even the 12z NAM 3km or the most recent HRRR run.  They showed a blip of snow possible in Central TX,  but nothing in far West TX.  Thought that was interesting."

I don't see anything on the radar to support this?

3 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

I think it will over perform...just not here.  it could be an 899 low and I don't think it would matter.  learned quite a bit from this experience.   

• H2O unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic

Archived