Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

12 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

yeah I was, which is my bad there, but I do notice the precip is back up further north for that system but the temps are too warm

12z nam is a bit better. Actually has measurable precip now over the I 20 corridor . Not earth shattering by any means but maybe enough for a light dusting of snow or sleet...especially the lower savannah  river valley and coastal sc. Temps look cold enough at the surface. Wouldn't be shocked if it ends up as a bit wetter in the end like the system wednesday.

I

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

12z nam is a bit better. Actually has measurable precip now over the I 20 corridor . Not earth shattering by any means but maybe enough for a light dusting of snow or sleet...especially the lower savannah  river valley and coastal sc. Temps look cold enough at the surface. Wouldn't be shocked if it ends up as a bit wetter in the end like the system wednesday.

I will take a dusting considering just a few days ago it was a squashfest, and I got a few flakes last night from that overrunner so I am quite the content sandlapper.

8 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I

The UKMET last night looked fairly far north with the NYE system at 60-72

24 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

rgem at the end of its run with some precip showing up, gfs has it getting squashed after this but something to watch over the next few cycles as the nam was a bit more widespread for new years day along the sc coast. 06z gfs at 48hr had little to no precip along the gulf coast.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_48.png

Yeah..the gfs did not latch on to the extent of the precip Wednesday morning  until the 0z and 06z run tues night...in other words until it was pretty much already happening. 

Yeah, I was wrong with my north trend predictions. The south is very cold, but we still cannot get a storm. It really is ironic that most of the time we are worried about the temperature, however, here it is all about being too cold. Smh, living in the south has its perks, and it has its downfalls as well. I hope everyone has a good new years.

I have been quietly following this Southeast weather forum for many years now. I think the past couple of weeks have been the most frustrating for me as far as potential snow threats in my area of NC. ( NorthernMost Part of Sampson County). The models have been consistent in showing potential storms 7-10 days out only to watch them get squashed as time goes by. I use to get very frustrated when the northwest trend started showing up on models because that most of the time took me out of the potential snowfall. This last week I have been begging for a North and West trend in the modeling. Don't look as if that's gonna happen. Maybe we can cash in before Winter is out. It is still early in the season. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks to all you guys that read the models well. I have always loved Winter weather and I have learned a lot from all of you. Thanks

31 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I think we can stick a fork in this one too.

For all of us that are well inland, it will just be cold. The last two systems taught me that. At least that is apparent now and noone should be dissapointed when once again nothing happens. Like I've said in other threads I'm interested to see just how cold it can get and stay. Maybe a day or two AOB freezing if we're lucky.

1 hour ago, CummingGaSnow said:

For all of us that are well inland, it will just be cold. The last two systems taught me that. At least that is apparent now and noone should be dissapointed when once again nothing happens. Like I've said in other threads I'm interested to see just how cold it can get and stay. Maybe a day or two AOB freezing if we're lucky.

Off for 11 days no snow in sight, well at least it will be so cold I won't be able to do that honey do list the wife has for me! :lol:

NAM is much different than this time yesterday for SC....if its right this just highlights the issues the models have with predicting these waves in a fast flow like this, it also fits the well established pattern of bringing storms back inside of 72 hrs which is a common theme with a lot of our winter weather events. 

18Z yesterday 

5a46b0940382c_NAM32y.thumb.png.2ca611563a3be9401ffbc8d01868cd76.png

18Z today 

5a46b08a8be32_NAM32t.thumb.png.f50a16535dbd89b948c6440822bcb922.png

Archived