Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP AFD long term

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
As of 230 PM EST Thursday...If you were hoping for some snow next
week, prepare to have your dreams crushed. While the operational
ECMWF has been interesting on the past two runs, developing
low pressure over the nrn Bahamas and then moving it north while
deepening on Wednesday, there remains only minimal support from the
ensembles, and the trend (short as it is) is for the system to be
farther east. The operational GFS has this development even farther
offshore and keeps us even more bone dry. The greatest concern
would be the eastern fringe, but the GEFS plume diagram off the 12Z
run has only a half-dozen members that give CLT less-than-advisory
level snow in the Wed-Thu time frame. That`s not a lot to hang your
hat on. The remaining small possibility for wintry precip from this
system would be if the trof axis is farther west thus bringing the
low track closer to the coast. However, we have seen several times
in the last two weeks where the guidance has a potential storm
out on days 5-7 only for it to evaporate in the intervening time,
leaving us with nothing but cold temps and high clouds. A slight
chance of precip was inherited for the mid-week period, but have
taken in out based on the model trends and weak support from the
ensembles. The one item that was kept was the potential NW flow
snow event Wed nite and Thursday. Both models show a fairly deep NNW
flow that appears as though it might tap some Great Lakes moisture
on Thursday, before that stream gets re-directed toward the central
Appalachians late in the week. This was limited to a slight chance
of snow for the time being, but there is a strong possibility the
trend will be upward. Temps will remain below normal.

1 minute ago, TARHEELPROGRAMMER88 said:

NW trend will start tonight mark my words. 

Noted.  Hope you have another one-liner teed up admitting defeat when everything continues to "go south" on you....pun intended.  Nothing is going to crack this cold dome until it is ready to relax and we see a true southern track redevelop.

1 minute ago, CummingGaSnow said:

Ok, so just getting home from work and trying to catch up and grazing through some posts, this tuesday night/wed storm is trending more towards the coast? Seems like this is becoming the winter of suppression. Just wow.

You’d have more fun if you stayed at work!

2 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

In this pattern, y’all need the storm shown over Arkansas at this point.  That way, you might be on the northern fringes when the SE trend is done.

:lol:  I'm just gonna say that the other day I had some sleet pellets verify, tonight mby is now under a WWA, and as crazy as it sounds.....it wouldn't take much to turn this into something amazing at the coast for the new year

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Not even a decent clipper in sight.  How in the world does it snow up north near the polar vortex?  We have a little bit of confluence in the NE and it crushes everything into oblivion.  But they got confluence under the PV way up north and they get snow all the time.  So bogus.

I'm currently visiting family up in MI and have been following the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley boards.

Outside of the lakes, they don't really get THAT much snow, especially in the current pattern. There are areas in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio that have hardly gotten more than a few inches dating back to December 2016. That is an unusually bad run for them, but it happens depending on the pattern.

At my parents house we lucked out with a deepening clipper that gained some moisture content from the Lakes on Christmas eve, and at my sister's house it is 90% lake effect snow.

3 minutes ago, Tarheel17 said:

I'm currently visiting family up in MI and have been following the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley boards.

Outside of the lakes, they don't really get THAT much snow, especially in the current pattern. There are areas in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio that have hardly gotten more than a few inches dating back to December 2016. That is an unusually bad run for them, but it happens depending on the pattern.

At my parents house we lucked out with a deepening clipper that gained some moisture content from the Lakes on Christmas eve, and at my sister's house it is 90% lake effect snow.

And people love the EPO.  It sucks!  But seriously, yeah it hasn’t been a good pattern for a lot of the nation, really.

13 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

You’d have more fun if you stayed at work!

Getting flashbacks on why I hated 2010 so much...Dec/Jan was well BN, we missed the blizzard to our west in Dec, we got the miller B sleet storm end of Jan and then we had to watch the MA get 300 inches of snow all while freezing our butts off for 3+ months.  Hopefully if Mother Nature has mercy on us we blow torch after mid Jan through spring.  

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Getting flashbacks on why I hated 2010 so much...Dec/Jan was well BN, we missed the blizzard to our west in Dec, we got the miller B sleet storm end of Jan and then we had to watch the MA get 300 inches of snow all while freezing our butts off for 3+ months.  Hopefully if Mother Nature has mercy on us we blow torch after mid Jan through spring.  

Bitter much? ;)

3 hours ago, HKY_WX said:

What's interesting is the majority of the snow falling on the euro run is w/ temps in the mid to low 20's. Ratios would likely be higher than 10:1. This is all fantasy discussion at this point, but it's fun to think about.

HKY, 

We live in one of the toughest places on the planet to forecast weather in...THE PIEDMONT OF NC/SC, so EVERYTHING in terms of Snow is ALWAYS Fantasy for us. Besides...this is the BERMUDA TRIANGLE for snowfall bro! :)

Archived