joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

Look at the totals though...

You don't see that type of storm look down in the South too often. Classic comma shape for mature mid-latitude storm systems. I can't imagine what the rates northwest of the 850mb low is like. Very warm air in the in the mid-levels meeting very cold air means insane lift and forcing. Whoever gets under the deathband is going to have a storm of a lifetime.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

It seems strange watching everything shift slightly east but the 3k Nam going up with totals.  Something doesn't feel right.

cough 960mb low cough

Normally I would scoff at it but damn if it isn't supported by just about everything now....this is probably a 1 or 2 in a lifetime low off Hatteras.....we wont see this likes of this again for a long time....hell has it even ever happened before.

I feel a little better now the UK is right there. Has us right at 7mm with sniffing distance to 10-15mm.   I would feel a lot better if GFS got a .1” to us.  

Come on Pack, you know it’s your turn!! Hope you get a good one! You you deserve it man much time as you put in chasing these model runs play by play which I appreciate good luck!!!

10 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

The low is way too far east for big Triangle snow.  We're pretty much out of time for a major jump west.  So unless this is going to be a bust of epic proportions (i.e. 2000), which is unlikely, given better technology now vs. then, around 1" or so in the Raleigh area is probably the cap.  Going to be a nice hit for the coastal plain.  Hopefully, some of the coastal areas that don't usually get much snow will cash in.

There is going to be a sharp cut off line with this system. There may be a county that gets 5" on the eastern boarder and zero on the western boarder. Wake County could be that county. I've see a few time where there's no snow at my house but it's dumping the snow 10 miles to the SE in Wake Forest. That latest 3k NAM scares me to death. Looks great for me with 7", but shift it 20/30 miles east and I get nothing/flurries.   

2 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

cough 960mb low cough

Normally I would scoff at it but damn if it isn't supported by just about everything now....this is probably a 1 or 2 in a lifetime low off Hatteras.....we wont see this likes of this again for a long time....hell has it even ever happened before.

Yeah, that's a good point.  It's a little odd that it gets that strong.  I've seen more impressive upper level panels than this for systems weaker than this.  But hey, it's interesting to behold, no doubt.  I'd feel a bit better if we had any other models showing these kinds of totals around here...I'd also like to see that low scootch over and develop about 50 miles to the west or so.

6 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Yeah, that's a good point.  It's a little odd that it gets that strong.  I've seen more impressive upper level panels than this for systems weaker than this.  But hey, it's interesting to behold, no doubt.  I'd feel a bit better if we had any other models showing these kinds of totals around here...I'd also like to see that low scootch over and develop about 50 miles to the west or so.

I hope you score a foot or more of snow. Do you count snow days as vacation days? 

3 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Just watched a 15 minute live briefing by NWS RAH...  had a great discussion and showed simulated precip and soundings.   The guy said that he knows that there are models showing western movement and heavier amounts but the NWS feels they are outliers at this point and not going with it.

Kinda fickle if you ask me. No “rule” to deciding when it’s not an outlier or is.  In their minds they have more time before they have to announce anything changed. Reality is we work and need notice to prep. So on...

20 minutes ago, POWERSTROKE said:

I remember that storm very well.  Stayed cold for two weeks, schools closed for two and a half weeks in Winston Salem

Yep, my favorite storm as a kid. Ran the sleds so many times down a big hill nearby it turned into a bobsled run basically.

Just now, tramadoc said:
23 minutes ago, SEwakenosnowforu said:
What about blizzard of 80? How low did it go off our coast?

I lived here then. We got 25" in KECG. If I remember correctly it was a 990mb low.

Yeah it was nothing to special it just hung out for a day and a half......be nice to get this one to stick around 6-12 extra hrs....

Can I officially buy in now in horry county?  Myrtle beach to be exact.  I’m trying to hold back because we are famous to just get sleet at the last minute but that 3k nam has close to 3 inches on the beach and those of us a tad inland on line of 4-5+ inches.  3k nam is pretty accurate for the most part inside 24 hours right?

Archived