Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

4 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Whats up Jeremy! It will be interesting to follow the Hi-Res/Short Term Models tonight/tomorrow, as well as the radar. Hoping we can sneak in on some of the action. Hope all is well and you all had a Happy New Year! 

yeah, all is well. hope it is with you too. I am pulling for us to somehow get into the game.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

It’s gonna take one hit out of the ballpark for it to throw some flakes back this far W&NW, but you two def have a better slim shot than I.

We’re going to have to wait 7-10 more days for our shot!!

I’d take that than possibly 7 years here at the beach :)

15 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Right....and another 50 mile shift west, albeit unlikely as the global and hi-res models are coming to a truce, would still only skirt RDU and maybe toss a flurry west of there.  So for the vast many here, this is looking more and more like a non-event.  It's a coastal folks, we just need to accept it and say congrats to dozens of posters who don't have a dog in many of our fights.

You sound like you've reached the bargaining phase lol...

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Comparing Boxing Day, Dec 2004 and what UKmet is showing for SLP track, we are roughly in between those two events.  SLP track really lines up well with 2004 in the preceding panel too.  Only difference is this SLP will be much much stronger.

dz0dtBx.png

Stronger, with less precip on the NW???  I've read the tweets on why this could be, but I still wonder.

230 PM EST Tue Jan 2 2018

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON WEDNESDAY TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...

* WHAT...Snow is expected along and east of the Interstate 95
  corridor. Total snow accumulations ranging from 1 to 3 inches
  are expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central North Carolina.

* WHEN...Snow will spread into the Clinton and Fayetteville areas
  around or just after noon Wednesday, and spread northward to
  Wilson and Tarboro around 5 PM EST. The snow will taper off to
  flurries after midnight.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Frigid temperatures over the past few days
  will allow the snow to accumulate to road surfaces.

1 minute ago, CentralNC said:

Even for Jan 2000 storm I never dreamed snow would make it back to the Yadkin river, yet it did.  Dont think it will in this case but you never know.  Capture will be too far east.

I think we'll see further corrections west. I think anyone east of the foothills are still in the game for at least a trace.

4 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

You sound like you've reached the bargaining phase lol...

Lol.  Nope, I've punted, moved on, and trying to figure out what to wear to pull down the lawn decorations this week.  Just glad it won't be in 2-4" of snow.

Mother in law lives in Washington so I'm excited for her but thinking she may see cold rain while PVG sees heavy snow.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, Lookout said:

i'm a bit surprised it didn't really change the back edge of the precip further inland much, despite the better look. 

Lookout are you still thinking the snow gets pretty close (within 50-75 miles) to your area?

That piece of energy you mentioned yesterday that was perhaps going to slide through AL and GA, is that still showing on the models?  I haven't heard anything about it today.

I'm off work this week so I'm going to chase this storm leaving from ATL, and head down 75 south, just trying to figure out how much further south from Macon I'm going to need to go.  Free places to stay in Macon versus needing to get a hotel if go much south from Macon.  Looks like the snow may be 100 miles or so south of macon towards maybe Vidalia GA?  I'm wanting to get into some good snow, don't care much for ice.  

Archived