joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Orangeburgwx said:

yeah but which would you rather trust?

Yeah this past Wed the hi res models showed the snow and sleet showers we got here way before the GFS caved in and finally got on board inside of 24 hrs of the precip starting....hell if anything the GFS not having it right now is probably a good sign......

Just now, snowlover91 said:

Hour 120, not quite there but a step in the right direction. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_21.png

yeah with the air mass in place if it can do it i suspect it would be a epic snowstorm for the eastern half's of SC/NC and maybe even coastal GA/FL.....still its a pretty decent improvement and a step in the right direction given the time frame left and it shows how close this pattern is to producing a big dog. 

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

yeah with the air mass in place if it can do it i suspect it would be a epic snowstorm for the eastern half's of SC/NC and maybe even coastal GA/FL.....still its a pretty decent improvement and a step in the right direction given the time frame left and it shows how close this pattern is to producing a big dog. 

Yeah this run was very close. Slow down the lead wave and speed up the trailing one just a bit and we would be in the game. Certainly within reason that could happen this far out with it being so close. 

22 minutes ago, griteater said:

Yeah coastal areas still in the game here for rare snow Jan 3-4 IMO

There’s a kicker plus a late injection of the northern stream which helps to straighten the shortwave.  Either one would help to turn it quicker if the timing is sooner.  The shortwave in question is a pretty good CONUS entry point for the Coastal Carolinas around Glacier Falls National Park, the piece behind it is pretty weak and could be transient with the next model run.  I would like to see more northern stream interaction a little quicker vs being dependent on a backside vort to pull the turning axis back west. 18z GFS was not far off, but when is that new.

4 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

I wouldn't say that. The shortwave behind it is right on its tail. Could catch up and turn the s/w to negative tilt quicker 

Shortwave behind it is on it's tail b/c the lead short wave isn't digging and/or turning the corner... There's 0% chance the NAM could pop a storm close enough to coast to affect anyone with that 84hr look. Look at the lead vort over nebrasa/kansas and how positive tilted/non-bundled it is.

nam_z500_vort_us_29.png

5 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Shortwave behind it is on it's tail b/c the lead short wave isn't digging and/or turning the corner... There's 0% chance the NAM could pop a storm close enough to coast to affect anyone with that 84hr look.

It would've started digging in future frames. The GFS starting digging sooner because it was faster with the wave. If the NAM had kept going the wave was going to dig just like the GFS IMO

1 minute ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

It would've started digging in future frames. The GFS starting digging sooner because it was faster with the wave. If the NAM had kept going the wave was going to dig just like the GFS IMO

The lead waves are in the same place on the NAM and GFS(central kansas), the NAM is much more strung out and positively tilted though.  There is no way the NAM would be able to wrap that shortwave around and form a storm to benefit anyone.  I'm the most optimistic person on this board, and I can tell you this threat is 100% dead.

The 84 hr NAM really doesn’t look all that impressive.  That lead wave over NE needs to be much more consolidated.  That would allow more digging and open the door for a potential phase.  Right now, it’s a strung out mess.  Is it better than the 18z?  I have no idea.  I didn’t look, so I’ll have to rely on your assessment.  That said, this threat isn’t off the table.

Archived