Newest Member
    joxey
December 30th 2017 Clipper

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

NAM has a little virga. Pretty much everyone under 0.1" QPF. SE Suffolk slightly better. 

namconus_apcpn_neus_21.png

Nothing in costal SE mass. That seems odd. I’m not saying this as wishful thinking but I would toss.

as depicted the higher amounts offshore are just ocean effect snow as a result of the cold offshore flow.  So basically it’s showing no cyclogensis at all. 

3 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I hate to say it but I think the goofus scores the coup on both future events. Progressive flow wins. Still not giving up on the clipper though, I think with ratios it’s got a solid potential to drop 1-3” for the area. The RGEM trend was interesting to say the least...

many people were making fun of the gfs for this saturday storm .. some calling it a garbage model who laughing now...

24 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

many people were making fun of the gfs for this saturday storm .. some calling it a garbage model who laughing now...

What?  Firstly, It is a garbage model.  Secondly, the event hasn't taken place.  Thirdly, it showed a ton of different solutions since this threat started showing up on the models.  Also every single model got it wrong in the long range.  Very wrong.  

NAM enhanced things back again at 6z, and RGEM should still be good enough for a couple of inches from the city eastward. I guess this will be a nowcast situation to see how the radar enhances once it hits the city. There does seem to be a sneaky ocean enhancement possibility for the south shore if we turn to an east wind. That'll be very interesting-I don't think I've ever been in ocean enhanced snow where I live. 

6 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

OES on a south wind.  Check it out.  The radar loop is a thing of beauty:

http://www.northshorewx.com/oes20050119.html

Who knows how it'll turn out but the NAM hi-res and RGEM are pretty insistent on forming a band from the SE towards my area/Jones Beach. That would be amazing-any kind of ocean effect where I am happens maybe once every couple decades. Could be more of an inverted trough/Norlun thing. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Who knows how it'll turn out but the NAM hi-res and RGEM are pretty insistent on forming a band from the SE towards my area/Jones Beach. That would be amazing-any kind of ocean effect where I am happens maybe once every couple decades. Could be more of an inverted trough/Norlun thing. 

..it will be interesting to see that develop..maybe the whole south shore can get some enhancement..

this factor could make for some surprises..??

Taking into consideration the early 12z guidance (NAM and RGEM), it still looks like a general 0.5" in and around the City, and 1"-3" across Suffolk County and a portion of the south shore in Nassau County (with perhaps a few locally higher amounts) seems to be the way things are headed for tomorrow's clipper system. The 12z NAM seems to be somewhat of an outlier with the earlier guidance, the 12z 3 km version and the 12z RGEM.

The 18z NAM again slightly trimmed snowfall amounts from the upcoming clipper. My final thinking, which is little changed from earlier is:

NYC and nearby suburbs: Coating to 0.5" (5% probability of 1"; 25% probability of a trace or less)

Suffolk County/southern portion of Nassau County: 1"-3" (generally 0.5" to 1.0" elsewhere in Nassau County) - Ratios could be 15:1 to even 20:1 on parts of Long Island

Middlesex and New London Counties: Around 1" in southern portions but coating to 0.5" elsewhere.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM TO 10 PM EST SATURDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on slippery road conditions. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches are expected. * WHERE...Suffolk County. * WHEN...From 10 AM to 10 PM EST Saturday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Be prepared for reduced visibilities at times. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means periods of snow will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered roads and limited visibilities, and use caution while driving. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

Taking into consideration the early 12z guidance (NAM and RGEM), it still looks like a general 0.5" in and around the City, and 1"-3" across Suffolk County and a portion of the south shore in Nassau County (with perhaps a few locally higher amounts) seems to be the way things are headed for tomorrow's clipper system. The 12z NAM seems to be somewhat of an outlier with the earlier guidance, the 12z 3 km version and the 12z RGEM.
Don, any indication how CNJ might fare tomorrow?

2 minutes ago, The Plowsman said:
5 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Don, any indication how CNJ might fare tomorrow?

Best guess, generally near 0.5" to near 1". As one gets a little further south and east, some 1"-2" amounts are possible. This doesn't look like a big event anywhere, but the kind that can still lead to slippery driving conditions.

38 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

the past 2 events have over performed so far this year

I'm thinking this one may follow suit. I don't see 3'' in Central Park out of the picture. 

I don’t think the initial disturbance will be able to produce enough and the coastal moisture gets going too late.  The surprise may come somewhere in the northern MA or south of us.  They may get more out of the system before it undergoes the semi transfer 

24 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I don’t think the initial disturbance will be able to produce enough and the coastal moisture gets going too late.  The surprise may come somewhere in the northern MA or south of us.  They may get more out of the system before it undergoes the semi transfer 

That coastal transfer may actually “rob” moisture in the area (west of Long Island) and cause dry slotting/subsidence in between as the initial disturbance comes across from the west and weakens

Archived