Newest Member
    joxey
December 30th 2017 Clipper

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Second to last day of 2017 looks to be a white one. Light snow may hit our area during the day this Saturday. Enjoy it my fellow weenies...Post your discussions here 

You do realize that this is a dusting event? 

10 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Desperation must be setting in. There won't even be enough snow to coat the grass, mostly mood flakes at best.

Not if the GGEM is right. Tonight's run gives most of the area about 3 inches of snow. GFS improved as well, giving the area a coating to 1 inch. It's certainly possible that it will be only a dusting event, but a decent 1 to 3 inch event is possible as well. We should get a better idea by thursday night.

6 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Second to last day of 2017 looks to be a white one. Light snow may hit our area during the day this Saturday. Enjoy it my fellow weenies...Post your discussions here 

Looks like a nice light snow event

Gfs and gefs are shifting the low closer to the coast. Lets see if it gets stronger. We are still 2 days away so we can still see some changes

1-3 inches is a good call.

6 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

.10 - .25 liquid at 20:1 ratio - you do the math............

blob.thumb.png.442ea7e3010b77f65640013264ec4365.png

Ratios aren’t about surface temps. We want the lift to be in the DGZ, which is where temps are -12 to -18C. If it’s colder than that where the snowflakes are made, you’ll see needles and tiny flakes that aren’t much better than 10-1. 

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The RGEM looks better at 48 than the NAM did.  Probably have to wait another model cycle or two

Agreed since the main vort is still offshore.  12Z RGEM and RPM both have ~0.2" liquid equivalent at JFK, with more to the E.  Probably good for 2-3", maybe 4 if there's some meso banding. 

14 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This still looks like a 1-3 inch snowfall for the area given the ratios.

I think amounts are still to be determined this is a very tricky setup - expect alot of virga when precip echoes start appearing on radar because the columm has to get saturated and that might take a while - not going to get much help from the Atlantic or any other moisture source.

16 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

I think amounts are still to be determined this is a very tricky setup - expect alot of virga when precip echoes start appearing on radar because the columm has to get saturated and that might take a while - not going to get much help from the Atlantic or any other moisture source.

Forecast model soundings actually show we would not have much virga at all. 

35 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This still looks like a 1-3 inch snowfall for the area given the ratios.

I don't see how the ratios would be greater than 15:1 as anything above that is extremely rare around here. As someone stated, lower temps don't equal higher ratios. 

This may end up being an inch at best but with how dry the air is and the amount of virga likely, it may only be a dusting (>0.5"). 

Archived