Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Just keepin it real. Pretty blues and ground truth are 2 different things. 2.3"....this run didn't do it  

The whole period is lacking clarity. But I still agree with something you said yesterday which is I doubt all these systems staying suppressed. It's not an inactive pattern. Right now it all looks squashed. My gut says one or more ends up amplifying. It's just frustrating not knowing which one. But ive learned enough to know when a setup is too complicate for me to know the outcome. So I'm just gonna wait and see until we get some stability and clarity in the guidance. But I'm still confident something comes of all this. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Could be north ga's year. Not sure what their records are but if the gfs panned out it would have to be close to all time snowiest Dec. Some areas already have 10"  

A foot in Brevard, NC not too far from north Georgia in that surprise storm for them back on the 8th according to my in-laws. They were expecting an inch or two per local forecasts when it started that morning. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Could be north ga's year. Not sure what their records are but if the gfs panned out it would have to be close to all time snowiest Dec. Some areas already have 10"  

I think 09-10 and 10-11 is the snowiest winter on record there for most of the climo sites but December didn’t have much 

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

Yes, that is often the case. I would mention a few others but I'm guessing you're a little to young to remember. 

Usually when that happens it is because the first storm becomes our 50/50. I will actually be shocked if we dont hit a couple of events over the next couple of weeks. The pattern is just screaming snow. And of course we are not going to have to worry about the cold air. If I dont see snow by the 10th of January I am out :)

11 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Usually when that happens it is because the first storm becomes our 50/50. I will actually be shocked if we dont hit a couple of events over the next couple of weeks. The pattern is just screaming snow. And of course we are not going to have to worry about the cold air. If I dont see snow by the 10th of January I am out :)

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Man...what a uninterrupted super  steady long period of artic cold starting tomorrow and going strong thru day 10...fairly rare   That's the bigger part of equation ...and we got plenty.  No doubt we get some snow imo. 

We might not hit the jackpot but we will score.  We are staring at 2-3 weeks of deep freeze. At the very least will fall into something. 

The bitter cold January of 1977 was very dry but still produced several minor events. 

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Man...what a uninterrupted super  steady long period of artic cold starting tomorrow and going strong thru day 10...fairly rare   That's the bigger part of equation ...and we got plenty.  No doubt we get some snow imo. 

Need a contest for how much snow by the end of the year.  It looks great for cold.  But snow?  Less than 2 inches at each airport.  My guess with the exception of RIC.  

23 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

That is a pure Boxing Day 2010 pattern re-dux...

That's a re-dux of what has occurred all too often since September as I said last night, except the hole needs to be adjusted a little to the southwest. On the bright side, these anomalous patterns usually don't last over 90 - 120 days. Perhaps later tonight or tomorrow the models will begin to sense a break. Merry Christmas everyone!

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

the trough has a positive tilt and maybe a kicker to the west, but plenty of moisture and a 1050 high in the midwest. lift that trough north and west a bit and we could be looking at something worthwhile. i'd rather be in this spot right now for next weekend than having to worry about where all the cold air is.

3 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

We might not hit the jackpot but we will score.  We are staring at 2-3 weeks of deep freeze. At the very least will fall into something. 

The bitter cold January of 1977 was very dry but still produced several minor events. 

It's been way too long since we've had anything resembling the cold stretch like the winter of '77, and though I want snow as much as the next person, I have some really great memories from that winter.

Make it happen.

18 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree 100 percent .  Colds in place. Several Pac. Short waves. Cold is always overdone in the long range. I think the suppresion shown now will let up some.We may not have a big dog but  i would be shocked if we get shut out over the next 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It's been way too long since we've had anything resembling the cold stretch like the winter of '77, and though I want snow as much as the next person, I have some really great memories from that winter.

Make it happen.

I was only 4 years old lol. But I do remember '82. It would be great to do it again.

5 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

GEFS is better. Much better. Nearly 0.4" of liquid for DC. With hopefully high ratios, we could be talking about a moderate snow event

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_19.thumb.png.77dc3c3638a32cd6f7474a0048723f39.png

DT hasn't given up yet either. I mean, he's sticking to what he said, but at least he hasn't jumped ship

Bob < actually they have taken another step in the wrong direction > Bob

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived