Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

After what we are going through with the Friday deal, looking down the road from that and feeling good about it is borderline insanity. 

Eta: what WhiteoutWX just said...lol

One silver lining is the gfs suppressed 4 straight systems just under us. It's not like there is nothing coming. There is a wave every 2 days it just squashes them all. I kind of doubt that. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Sure did...not the news we want ....but

Looking at snowfall within members ...thru Friday 14/22 get 2" into DC so that's something.  A complete shutout for wave 1 looks unlikely though. 

That's where my head is at. Let go of the big soltuions and track any measurable no matter how little. Lol

For some perspective. (Yes I'm disappointed what was a great setup gor threat one has devolved into ambiguousness) 

There are 4 clear distinct threats showing in the next 15 days. The runs can't agree at all on which will hit. None has a super majority but all 4 has enough support to say it's legit.

so in all  17/21 give D.C. 5"+ over the period. 

None are a shutout. 

If we step back and see the big picture we're not in that bad of shape. I'm not sugar coating the bad trends for threat one. But I always liked the fact this pattern wasn't a one and done. We often need multiple chances to score. 

Something important to keep in mind is the difference between the southern wave hitting and a whiff south is very small right now. We're 120 hours out. This isn't an apples to apples setup but if you look at the gfs for today 120 hours ago it looked like this:

gfs_z500a_us_21.png

An verification looks like this:

gfs_z500a_us_2.png

Instead of an ots solution, the storm is tracking west of us. It was never much of a threat but the point is that having flow more amped and backed in instead of sheared and south is very possible. 

You can do the same exercise with the 9th event and the little events that snuck up. Each situation is unique but just laying down at 120 hours thinking it's locked in flat, sheared, and south isnt supported by any previous event this year. 

Yes, it looks rough right now but tues is probably the earliest you can spike a ball.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

And the euro stripes us with mood snow on wed....heh

ecmwf_ptype_conus_72.png

I’ve been saying to keep an eye on that...

you and Hoffman have already mentioned it, but I’m still very optimistic. It’s an active pattern and we have cold air locked in. We’ll get ours.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived