Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

This.  This is what Anthony meant imo.  So like you said one can argue that point...but if the sensible weather turns out to be more wintry, then I think the point goes to Anthony on that call.  

No it isn't.  He was claiming the EPO would block the storm from cutting.

All the EPO does is add cold to the mix, which csn create a fromt ender.

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

He also said it would trend colder...and that the models would correct in the direction of a colder solution...he may be quite correct on that point.

Anyway....Moving on.

If I predicted that you would stop posting because you would get weenied, and then you stopped posting.  But didn't get weenied, am I right?

On 12/18/2017 at 12:18 PM, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The EPO is in the East PACIFIC...how in the hell does that block a storm from cutting???

All the EPO does is ensure that it is cold before and after any storm, but you are still subject to timing issues and amplitude of the SW with regard to track.

Saying it won't cut soley becuase of the EPO is wrong, and just because ypu happen to get lucky does not mean the EPO stopped it from cutting.

You are either wrong, or wrong and lucky.

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wrong. 

Sorry.

It is the orientation of the pole-ward propagating wave break through the EPO domain that largely modulates the downstream pattern. No, it isn't as easy as -EPO = correction, but on a more micro-scale level, it is the circulation structure of the developing geo-potential height rises that are important. I've been talking about these changes being likely elsewhere for awhile too, as a function of stratospheric down-welling, and improper handling of tropical convection progression. The wave break is now progged to propagate into the western NAO region, which it ostensibly was not several days ago. This was a model error. Further, the EPO break is expanding into the PNA domain, and the northeastward expansion of the RW creates a more positively tilted trough, and consequently, confluent flow extension into Quebec. The structural changes resultant w/ a more SW-NELY flow aloft allow the baroclinic zone to remain along the coast rather than orienting S-N into the coast. So, I agree and disagree. The more micro-scale idiosyncrasies of the EPO break and its concomitant effects are absolutely the reason for the recent model alterations.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

yeah but that's a glaze.....to me an 'icing event' is a la 2008.  Tamarack agrees because he just said the last event was 20 years ago.  Once every 20 years is pretty faux to me.

Actually, I don't, unless "icing event" were to be limited to catastrophic storms like 1998.  We lost power for most of a day due to icing in March 2011, the same storm that buried N.VT and the Maine mountains, and barely missed another serious ice storm pre-Christmas 2013, a "near Grinch" that was mostly IP here but caused significant ice damage in the central Maine I-95 area.

Archived