joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we get that wave on Christmas, my thinking is it will be in an out really fast, based on how fast the flow is. Probably out before sunrise for many folks. I think slightly below normal temps and dry will be theme during daylight hours...Low confidence but just my hunch as of right now based on look of EPS and GEFS

24 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

If we get that wave on Christmas, my thinking is it will be in an out really fast, based on how fast the flow is. Probably out before sunrise for many folks. I think slightly below normal temps and dry will be theme during daylight hours...Low confidence but just my hunch as of right now based on look of EPS and GEFS

Do you have driving plans Xmas Day?

5 hours ago, Isotherm said:

It is the orientation of the pole-ward propagating wave break through the EPO domain that largely modulates the downstream pattern. No, it isn't as easy as -EPO = correction, but on a more micro-scale level, it is the circulation structure of the developing geo-potential height rises that are important. I've been talking about these changes being likely elsewhere for awhile too, as a function of stratospheric down-welling, and improper handling of tropical convection progression. The wave break is now progged to propagate into the western NAO region, which it ostensibly was not several days ago. This was a model error. Further, the EPO break is expanding into the PNA domain, and the northeastward expansion of the RW creates a more positively tilted trough, and consequently, confluent flow extension into Quebec. The structural changes resultant w/ a more SW-NELY flow aloft allow the baroclinic zone to remain along the coast rather than orienting S-N into the coast. So, I agree and disagree. The more micro-scale idiosyncrasies of the EPO break and its concomitant effects are absolutely the reason for the recent model alterations.

Yes, the point is that you don't discount a cutter because the EPO is negative. 

The structure of the EPO and which domains it encompasses are all relevent. I never ruled out colder scenarios,  but rather opined that if we do verify colder, then it there is more to it than the general phase of the EPO.

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Avg 3.7/yr over 10 years

I found an average of about 1 ice storm (0.50") per year for BOX in the 15 years from the early 90s to 2008. 2008 happened right as the study was wrapping up oddly enough.

In reality we have significant impacts at about 1/3 inch ice, so our criteria should be closer to the national 0.25 than 0.50.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I found an average of about 1 ice storm (0.50") per year for BOX in the 15 years from the early 90s to 2008. 2008 happened right as the study was wrapping up oddly enough.

In reality we have significant impacts at about 1/3 inch ice, so our criteria should be closer to the national 0.25 than 0.50.

Well i think 0.10-0.25" would seem to be more the norm especially up here, With 0.50" and greater being the exception but those would have longer lasting impacts.

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I live in a great CAD area and have seen three decent ice events in 9 years and by decent I mean .25" accretion.

The entire valley, including Greenfield and Brattleboro VT rotted at 33.5F during the 2008 event while higher elevations were crippled. 

On the coastal plain we have had our share of smaller events (0.10" or less) but that one in 1998 was catastrophic +ZR and 24°F with 1-2.00" of ice, The damage from that was visible for several years after.

There is a fair signal for Saturday at this range. 

Ensembles are definitely setting the table with all the ingredients necessary for a decent icing event. High PWAT, warmer than normal air mass in the Southeast coming north on an anomalous SW flow. Plus you have a building surface high supported by subtle confluence in the mean. 

Now both the GEFS and EPS lift that confluence out quickly, and retreating highs never do as well on the CAD, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Archived