Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We continue with the big pattern swings which have defined our weather going back to late August. Arctic cold until a few days after New Year's followed by a temperature rebound around the 7th.

eps_z500a_noram_120.thumb.png.c5cf7f645970c5508c905412f23ea91f.png

eps_z500a_noram_300.thumb.png.5da84dbde9cc512d8b02854e09b72368.png

Not according to the latest GFS there isn’t a January thaw according to the GFS 6z. We’ll see though because that model usually acts erratically at times. It will warm up a bit but that doesn’t mean we cant get snow. It will moderate is the word I’m looking for. Let’s see what happens!

By the latest EURO WEEKLIES we better get our snowstorms in before Jan. 13.   Nothing but a monotonous above normal pressure pattern sets up for the eastern most third of the country.   This probably cuts out a Miller A type event after mid-Jan. and leaves overrunning events in play I suppose.

I am afraid the 7-Day Temp. Anomaly takes the same route at the same time frame.  

GFS 5-day chunks like this very same path and times.  

Snowiest part of winter  1/20---2/10 looks DOA right now.

I think the best thing to do right now is expect cold and dry. If things follow the seasonal trend and keep backing west until the last second it will be a pleasant surprise. We have been so spoiled the last few years with threading threading the needle at every opportunity. It was only a matter of time that we see things act normal.  Back in the 80s we would have resigned our selves to a cold dry period on the way.

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think the best thing to do right now is expect cold and dry. If things follow the seasonal trend and keep backing west until the last second it will be a pleasant surprise. We have been so spoiled the last few years with threading threading the needle at every opportunity. It was only a matter of time that we see things act normal.  Back in the 80s we would have resigned our selves to a cold dry period on the way.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw little additional snowfall this winter, it has a very 80s feel. We got lucky earlier this month but now it's cold and dry before the big thaw. 

I don't see why whatever happens Saturday will trend west when theres a massive polar airmass in place with the source of the Arctic cold nearby. 

I wonder if this winter will join 11/12 or 07/08 as one of the least snowiest since 2000. The weeklies look very poor after Jan 7 and La Nina winters get warmer as we roll into February. 

38 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw little additional snowfall this winter, it has a very 80s feel. We got lucky earlier this month but now it's cold and dry before the big thaw. 

I don't see why whatever happens Saturday will trend west when theres a massive polar airmass in place with the source of the Arctic cold nearby. 

I wonder if this winter will join 11/12 or 07/08 as one of the least snowiest since 2000. The weeklies look very poor after Jan 7 and La Nina winters get warmer as we roll into February. 

That was definitly not my point. I was referring strictly to the fact that this coming period appears cold and dry. To say the whole winter will be is foolish. This isn’t the 80s for a million reasons. The whole climate system has changed. Based on the good start I see no reason this isn’t an above normal snowfall winter. The coming “break” is not a done deal. In fact I think we stand a better chance at snow chances when things relax. Having the TPV so close this week is a bad thing for snow that’s the only thing that’s a given.  

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived