Newest Member
    joxey
Late autumn, early winter model mayhem

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I believe they calculated the probability of another 90+" 30 day period at 0.000037%. People shouldn't expect that unless they plan on living another few dozen millennia.

I'm not sure I agree with this. The climate is changing and global warming may not manifest itself entirely as the general populous believes that it will.

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. The climate is changing and global warming may not manifest itself entirely as the general populous believes that it will.

Yeah the study had a few caveats regarding climate change and its assumptions. I believe it was based more on Boston's historical snow data. Still a solid 6+ sigma event.

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Either the recent KU stretch is purely anomolous and we revert back to nickel and dimes for the next 10 winters....or this is the new norm. I think the latter.

Extremes and the all or nothing scenarios are more ‘common’.

Oh how I pray. I'm not sure I could handle 10 years of reversion to the mean at this point. The melts would be epic.

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yeah the study had a few caveats regarding climate change and its assumptions. I believe it was based more on Boston's historical snow data. Still a solid 6+ sigma event.

Oh its highly anomalous...don't get me wrong.  But I don't think it will take another 1000 years to repeat.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Oh its highly anomalous...don't get me wrong.  But I don't think it will take another 1000 years to repeat.

Ginxy's famed 1717 scrolls would imply as much. I even managed about 60" in the month from Boxing Day '10 to Jan 27, 2011. Not the same league as '15, but still impressive. It will happen again, just not expecting a repeat in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, Didn’t mean to say Feb 2105 for ema will be the new norm, one could dream and never awake at dawn....it could happen for another part of the region in 50 years, maybe less, though. 

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, Didn’t mean to say Feb 2105 for ema will be the new norm, one could dream and never awake at dawn....it could happen for another part of the region in 50 years, maybe less, though. 

You can have instances where two areas are hit with bombs in two weeks or less. See Albany area in 2003 and SE MA in 2015. Those occur more frequently compared to 100" in 4 weeks. 

The vort coming out of Canada has a more N-S orientation due to the more meridional orientation of the western ridge. The energy is also more consolidated into one vortmax instead of a broad trough. Should have room to dig; this might be an interesting run. Definitely looks like a potent shortwave coming out of Canada either way.

5a21d4ae79107_18zGFS500mbtrend150-15612117.thumb.gif.34a1526c9d33ef5df49babe0795e6930.gif

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Next weekend way too far out. Focus on the Wed night snow. Nice 1-3” event at least to kick things off. Lay down some pack

The wed event could be gone next run too...that’s a real low confidence idea there...need to see that keep appearing on subsequent runs to even start to focus on that idea imo.  

But it was nice to see it come back on the Euro, let’s see what 0z shows and if it’s still there...If it is that would help increase odds a bit.

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Everyone saw the 940mb low into Downeast ME right?  It was 967mbs over the Cape, rain for me, but the interior got their JUNO that run.  I know fantasy, but shows the potential this pattern can produce 

I’d rather Nemo than Juno lol.  But I’d take either for a season kickoff.

15 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Everyone saw the 940mb low into Downeast ME right?  It was 967mbs over the Cape, rain for me, but the interior got their JUNO that run.  I know fantasy, but shows the potential this pattern can produce 

Seems reasonable...as compared to the 930 bomb it teed up at 12z

I find it fascinating what this run is attempting...

In such a gradient saturate/high velocity mid level wind flux pattern, about the only way to get a big event is to actually triple phase the streams.

I've counted essentially two, 2.5 stream phasers, culminating in a third that is 3 proper. Inside of one run!

The first two only have paltry surface reflections for what is going on at mid levels - which is the fascinating part.  It's like GFS if got "too much" potential ...you wonder if just outpaces the lower troposphere's ability to respond?  That's an amazing notion... but that's what that looks like, ... finally, the third impulse, being completely hemispherically anchored, slows down enough to cyclogenesis.  

I've been arguing along here that with this type of ginormous anomaly smaller, quick hitting system are favored; that is still true? But it's interestingly the rare three-stream phased system is attempted three times in the same run.  wow

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I find it fascinating what this run is attempting...

In such a gradient saturate/high velocity mid level wind flux pattern, about the only way to get a big event is to actually triple phase the streams.

I've counted essentially two, 2.5 stream phasers, culminating in a third that is 3 proper.

The first two only have paltry surface reflections for what is going on at mid levels - which is the fascinating part.  It's like GFS if got "too much" potential ...you wonder if just outpaces the lower troposphere's ability to respond?  That's an amazing notion... but that's what that looks like, ... finally, the third impulse, being completely hemispherically anchored, slows down enough to cyclogenesis.  

I've been arguing along here that with this type of ginormous anomaly smaller, quick hitting system are favored; that is still true? But it's interestingly the rare three-stream phased system is attempted three times in the same run.  wow

Deep South lows. We definitely have a shot of a big one somewhere when the trough is that sharp. I don't really care about double or triple phasers...just stating we are in the run for those Miller A type deals.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Deep South lows. We definitely have a shot of a big one somewhere when the trough is that sharp. I don't really care about double or triple phasers...just stating we are in the run for those Miller A type deals.

mmm, it still matters.

Miller A's will suffer in a high velocity pattern...  too.  although, we could benefit from PWAT flux ... I think 1978 ...or may very late 1977 ...there's an example of a modestly intense Miller A that was exceptionally prolific in the buckets.

But, speaking to this run ..those aren't deep south lows.  They look like Miller B's with even worse pressure pattern signatures in the deep S.  More over, they look remarkable weak comparative to what is going on in the mid levels - it's all suspect.

To public perception, heh obviously it doesn't matter. 

Archived