Welcome to American Weather
powderfreak

Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

606 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A bit of a coating here in the Hubb this morning.  Non paved surfaces covered

No sign remaining of the 20 flakes that buried our place yesterday, but the black-iced ponds a mile+ down the road were whitish this morning (no better surface for displaying a dusting), and the road shoulders on Mile Hill are still covered.  First over-20 morning in a week - 8th thru 13th had minima ranging 10 to 19, Novie now running -2.4.

57 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Hang on,

DKFAYAqWkAEaRVm.jpg:large

at the home of Heady Topper? 

Triple bun alert.

Ha I wonder who's holding that.

So many great beers in town.  Trapp Brewery and German Bierhall, Idylltime Brewing Company, Alchemist, then head to Waterbury or Morrisville for another several breweries in each town.  

I have no idea how all of these prosper but tourist areas and a large beer drinking population makes it happen apparently.  

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha I wonder who's holding that.

So many great beers in town.  Trapp Brewery and German Bierhall, Idylltime Brewing Company, Alchemist, then head to Waterbury or Morrisville for another several breweries in each town.  

I have no idea how all of these prosper but tourist areas and a large beer drinking population makes it happen apparently.  

I mean that's a pretty big AMS conference, so it's got to be a fairly large conference hall. They seem to usually do two sessions at a time. 

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean that's a pretty big AMS conference, so it's got to be a fairly large conference hall. They seem to usually do two sessions at a time. 

Yeah I was thinking Stowe Mountain Lodge up here at 1500ft.  Quite the weenie location for a bunch of mets.  Hopefully a good elevational October upslope event can be scheduled for that time too.

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's what I noticed too. I would hold off snow for another month if I had that. :lol:

I mowed Sunday, my lawn is looking the best it has all summer, lol. The amount of branches and twigs that have come down with all these wind events was really something.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

I mowed Sunday, my lawn is looking the best it has all summer, lol. The amount of branches and twigs that have come down with all these wind events was really something.

Pics?

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Flakes mixing in when I left for work, pic from Killingly from Josh Cig

DOmAL_NXcAAw8N1.jpg

My guinea pigs would like to come visit your lawn

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That's really cool. 

Fun to see the deer run by about 2:30 AM, followed by a raccoon poking around for a long time about an hour later. Apples and acorns on the ground won't be accessible much longer.

Does anyone have a link to descriptions of the first order climate stations?  I recall seeing a document at some point my career that provided a written description of different stations like BDL, ORH, PVD, BTV, CON, PWM, etc. but I can't seem to find a link to that kind of description.  I think they were written by a climatologist and would say something like "The station is located in a broad plain at 500' and is surrounded by hills whose height does not exceed 1000'" and then it would go on to describe the climate of the station and other records.  If anyone has a link, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ahhh my Calc II is weak.  

How do you integrate with respect to a term if that term is not in what you're integrating?  

I'm integrating (from 0 to yo) ((1.25x10^-4)z + 0.25) dy  

don't I just add y to each of those two terms? 

does anyone have more info on the bering sea rule/east asia rule? i know patterns translate downstream but getting this specific smells like voodoo