Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

With the GEFS mean by Charleston, I wonder what the possibilities are of a Georgia Landfall.

The combination of the forecast pattern, GFS ensembles, and earlier ECMWF runs has me increasingly concerned about a landfall bounded by the 1893 "Sea Islands" hurricane on the south and something a little north of Isabel on the north. Georgia hasn't had a major hurricane landfall since 1898, so many may be ill-prepared should Irma head that way.

14 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Can you post? I believe the 12z did too. Will be interesting to see if the Euro moves towards the GFS or vice versa at 00z. GFS has held serv for a couple runs in a row while the Euro is all over the place however I think it's still so early that neither models will be correct as of right now.

IMG_0010.PNG

So there aren't any 10 day official consensus models, but I'd strongly suspect that simply averaging the GEFS mean and the EC Mean would be by far the most accurate forecast, verbatim (without trying to manually diagnose which model is "correct" - computers are better at TC track forecasting than humans). 

So right now that would be Morehead City North Carolina.

23 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

IMG_0010.PNG

Does nobody else think this map is a little...."off"? Since when do TC's or remnants of them continue tracking NW all the way into the Plains? I've never seen anything like it. It's like the tropical Easterlies moved North to between 30N and 40N lol. Seriously though, is there an upper level mechanism on the GEFS so extreme to be causing these absurd tracks?

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Does nobody else think this map is a little...."off"? Since when do TC's or remnants of them continue tracking NW all the way into the Plains? I've never seen anything like it. It's like the tropical Easterlies moved North to between 30N and 40N lol. Seriously though, is there an upper level mechanism on the GEFS so extreme to be causing these absurd tracks?

The ull to the west?

We  saw these insane left hooks on the models into the mid atlantic with sandy. Not saying its the same setup but the models will most likely waffle with the hook.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

qzrBKbQ.gif

in other words, when Irma gets to the central Bahamas, that's when we should know which way she turns as that seems to be the common inflection point. but yea, that 878 that's I think record territory for the Atlantic Basin and I do not think Irma heads there. 910-920, I agree I think we would see that, given what we're seeing so far. But that jet pattern, having momma nature bowl right-handed instead of normally left-handed again and put it into an almost Hazle-like position? i'm not sure how much I believe it, despite Sandy a couple of years ago. Those type of interactions just do not usually like to happen often. It almost feels like it should be more heading to Long Island and New England, not up the Chesapeake and flooding Delaware Bay as well as Philly from the surge.

Exactly. My cone would be OC MD to E LI

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Snow88 said:

The ull to the west?

We  saw these insane left hooks on the models into the mid atlantic with sandy. Not saying its the same setup but the models will most likely waffle with the hook.

That's insane though....I dont ever recall a map where so many tracks continued on to the WNW and into the Plains states like that. Of course there is your climo cluster that recurves and I'm not saying the 'hook' cant or wont happen, but this look is just odd to me. 

I don't buy that sharp turn West from going North. Likely going to be LF higher around NJ.

Nor do I. For that to happen, it would have to be a full capture and/or redevelop. A storm of that size and strength may be tugged west, but I don't see a full capture, especially this quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Nor do I. For that to happen, it would have to be a full capture and/or redevelop. A storm of that size and strength may be tugged west, but I don't see a full capture, especially this quickly.

Looks like the GFS has the west hook due to a 300mb low pinching off to Irma's west and the 500mb ridge building to the north as the main 500mb trough lifts out.

gfs_300_8d.gif

1 minute ago, salbers said:

Looks like the GFS has the west hook due to a 300mb low pinching off to Irma's west and the 500mb ridge building to the north as the main 500mb trough lifts out.

Don't usual major hurricanes that landfall on the East correlate with a full moon? Our moon will be full this Weds, so I don't see that happening.

25 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Well since the storm was recently mentioned, the last big one to hit GA in 1898 tracked all the way to NE IL.

Hopefully once the energy responsible for the trough comes onshore tonight and we get better sampling the globals will begin to handle this feature more consistently. While we're still in fantasy range, about 7 days out is when we cross that threshold and we're close to doing so.

27 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The last major hurricane to make Georgia landfall (Hurricane #7 in 1898) plowed into the Midwest. That storm made landfall as a Category 4 hurricane.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/data/TC/NA/tracks/1898.png

Archived