Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Irma

NJwx85

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Foulkey said:

Question: it's been a fairly cool summer in New England. Are we assuming the cooler ocean water will knock Irma down quite a bit before any potential NYC landfall?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Most likely if that happened.  The 80 degree temps typically cut off near or just south of the NC/VA border so weakening almost always occurs north of that latitude.  If you have an interaction with an upper low however sometimes you end up with the whole spread out wind field deal and a transition to what Sandy or the 38 storm may have been so you have a bigger area of strong winds and surge 

3 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The SE really needs to pay attention to this storm. Areas farther north also need to watch things. Much of this region has no recent experience with a landfalling major hurricane.

Indeed.  You can see quite an array of possibilities here.

O84DJPO.png

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

I want to see the EPS mean evolves since the GEFS post upgrade had had too strong a ridge in the East and too weak in the West.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/fcst_eval/html/zwk2_bias.html

The EPS (and GFES) has been all over the last 3 runs it seems.  I'm not sure until we see 3 consecutive runs where it's about the same if we can be confident we are coming close to any solution 

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Most likely if that happened.  The 80 degree temps typically cut off near or just south of the NC/VA border so weakening almost always occurs north of that latitude.  If you have an interaction with an upper low however sometimes you end up with the whole spread out wind field deal and a transition to what Sandy or the 38 storm may have been so you have a bigger area of strong winds and surge 

Regarding sst's north of the VA Capes sir, if this thing started to kick it up a notch per say in forward speed would it still feel the effects of the ocean temps or if it were moving fast enough would it be a scenario where it would be predominantly undistrubed in the center of circulation? Basically could we still have a 940mb cane down near the outer banks be as ferocious as it approached the Delmarva for example? I'm just interested in what forward speed can do to help a hurricane in the case of cooler sst's? Thanks for your time.

9 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Regarding sst's north of the VA Capes sir, if this thing started to kick it up a notch per say in forward speed would it still feel the effects of the ocean temps or if it were moving fast enough would it be a scenario where it would be predominantly undistrubed in the center of circulation? Basically could we still have a 940mb cane down near the outer banks be as ferocious as it approached the Delmarva for example? I'm just interested in what forward speed can do to help a hurricane in the case of cooler sst's? Thanks for your time.

It will weaken however, the speed with which it does so depends on several factors:

1) The size of the storm. The bigger and stronger the vortex, the more inertial stability it has and the longer it takes to spin down.

2) Forward speed. Faster speed gives it less time to weaken and adds the movement component to the wind speed on the right flank, keeping winds up on those quadrants.

3) Baroclinic/jet enhancement, if any. Some baroclinic (frontal) and/or jet enhancement via divergence aloft and/or enhancement of outflow can slow the weakening process.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The SHIPS model I think this morning showed significant shear increase from 72-96.  I think OSUMet posted that. 

Yeah.  12z has 15 to 20 knots in the 72 to 120 hr range.  Ships is using gfs shear on nhc forecast points afaik.  Its not a ton of shear by any means but it could keep the system somewhat in check.

12 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

Bulllcrap....we are still 9 days out....climo is still heavily weighted at these leads....the anomalous pattern is "modeled"...at 9 days out.

The pattern is anomalous now, what normal major hurricane turns WSW in the middle of the Atlantic. Climo says Irma should be going NW right now.

6 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You always have to be a bit concerned on a WSW moving system that the models may underestimate how much of a south component occurs or how long it occurs for 

Very true.  Also the Islanders look at 15/55 as a benchmark location that somewhere in the Islands will be impacted.  NHC track has her down to 17N.  Don't want to see her track much lower than that for the Islands sake.  "15/55 better find a place to crawl into and hide" was something some folks told me at a little bar in St. Thomas lol.

Archived