joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Damn, there goes my rain! :(

as blue ridge just mentioned, a lot of that further east tracks are  because the 18z gfs was so far east. And  Ones like the TABS can be tossed in the trash immediately regardless. Could be wrong but i suspect the 0z runs will continue the general florida hit and the 18zgfs is just an odd run..it clearly is an outlier vs the rest of the guidance. 

Of course, now that i've said that... watch the rest of them all shift east and make me look stupid for not waiting a few hours to see lol

24 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Barbuda is about to get a direct hit it looks like....

http://www.meteofrance.gp/previsions-meteo-antilles-guyane/animation/radar/antilles

yeah the radar and satellite is down right scary as ****. I sure hope those folks have somewhere that is built like fort knox to go to...unfortunately that is probably what it's going to take. It's hard to comprehend any island taking a direct hit from a near 200mph monster like this. 

11 minutes ago, Lookout said:

as blue ridge just mentioned, a lot of that further east tracks are  because the 18z gfs was so far east. And  Ones like the TABS can be tossed in the trash immediately regardless. Could be wrong but i suspect the 0z runs will continue the general florida hit and the 18zgfs is just an odd run..it clearly is an outlier vs the rest of the guidance. 

Of course, now that i've said that... watch the rest of them all shift east and make me look stupid for not waiting a few hours to see lol

The GEFS and EPS means are on top of each other through day 5. Has it at tip of sFL....hard to beat that.  You would think by 12z or 0z tomorrow we should know if it's going to track over Cuba or not. 

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Irma has taken a wobble north and looks to be in line for a direct hit on Barbuda

If by a long shot anyone sees pics on social media after Irma clears what's left of Barbuda please share. Hopefully some weather nerd like us will stick his head out the door while the eye is passing over and snap some pics. Sure it will be first and foremost thing on his mind.

The gfs/nam kinda gave away the secret today/tonight for this to curve north. It's the same as a winter time situation. If that departing trough ends up cutting off a low over New England, this will force energy to dive into the Miss' valley and form a weak cutoff low. This is the same setup we would get in the winter time if we wanted a snowstorm. If this happens, it will force Irma to fujiwhara around the upper low and curve back into the southeast Hugo Style. I'm assuming the EURO is much more transient with the departing trough over the NE, without having time to examine it right now.

14 minutes ago, griteater said:

11PM NHC Update keeps Irma at 185 MPH.  Regarding the track, the NHC says..."Some of the dynamical models have shifted northward a bit from the previous cycle, with the normally reliable GFS (:lmao:) looking like a northeast outlier.  The official track forecast leans toward the ECMWF solution."

Right so lets go with the model that never takes Irma lower than 958 mb its entire run instead cause ya know its got such a great handle on it...:rolleyes:... Hky  made a excellent observation that all the east of Florida ensemble members that the Euro has are the ones with storm pressures close to what it actually is...hard to see the Euro staying so far west if it actually initializes the storm in the 920-930 range. 

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Right so lets go with the model that never takes Irma lower than 958 mb its entire run instead cause ya know its got such a great handle on it...:rolleyes:... Hky  made a excellent observation that all the east of Florida ensemble members that the Euro has are the ones with storm pressures close to what it actually is...hard to see the Euro staying so far west if it actually initializes the storm in the 920-930 range. 

I guess the NHC needs to see the gfs continue to trend tomorrow before they adjust. Idk.  I have a feeling we shouldn't discredit the gfs so quickly. But I know nothing. 

Archived