Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

24 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

With a 1020 high over NE and a more realistic 930-940 cane land falling over ILM everyone NE of the center is gonna get effed up. We saw the same thing here in Fran where PGV had one of the highest gust in the storm ( away from the coast). Still this is far out and this will move again though that track is classic and I get nervous whenever the models go back to it. 

Yup.  Geography makes Frying Pan/the mouth of the Cape Fear a cane magnet.  Anyone in NC has seen this track a bunch....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

I'm saying the same thing. Drove home today and took time and looked at everything, and realized it's so beautiful here! Cary would never be the same if the 18z is right :( 

I'm a lot more worried about my family at the coast, but yeah I guess it would be pretty bad here. Crabtree Creek would probably rise above the top of the Holiday Inn at the mall.

3 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Thanks, just an observation. Will be interesting to see the trends tonight.

Its pretty damn valid though and explains A LOT.....the OP Euro makes no sense compared to the ensemble spread, but the OP was 962mb at initialization so 40 mb to high this totally fits and I bet you will be proven correct if they can get the pressure to initialize correctly at 00Z...

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Its pretty damn valid though and explains A LOT.....the OP Euro makes no sense compared to the ensemble spread, but the OP was 962mb at initialization so 40 mb to high this totally fits and I bet you will be proven correct if they can get the pressure to initialize correctly at 00Z...

How hard is it to get the in initilization scheme correct?  Or at least within 40 mb.  That seems like an absurd margin for error...especially for the Euro.

Yeah one would think the Euro would be closer than that, and then it keeps it 950-970mb the entire run, its just wrong, this doesnt mean it goes to NC with a landfall if its got the right pressure but there is a reason the higher pressures ensembles are all east of Florida on most of the models. We still got days to watch this and it will move again probably but in the end I think this is trending to something like a Hugo or Fran track somewhere between Charleston and Lookout.....wish I was wrong but escaping east seems very unlikely and the trend is going to be a back and forth in SC/NC from here on out I think. 

I'm seeing people on social media like Facebook have completely written off a Carolinas hit because they 1. Don't know how to read and understand the NHC cone and 2. Are totally unaware of the numberous models. They think there's one track and one track only. Some lady just argued with me that I don't know what I'm talking about. NC isnt possible and demanded I tell her where I am getting this crazy info. She lives in Wilmington now. I'd hate to be her and misinformed. 

5 minutes ago, Regan said:

I'm seeing people on social media like Facebook have completely written off a Carolinas hit because they 1. Don't know how to read and understand the NHC cone and 2. Are totally unaware of the numberous models. They think there's one track and one track only. Some lady just argued with me that I don't know what I'm talking about. NC isnt possible and demanded I tell her where I am getting this crazy info. She lives in Wilmington now. I'd hate to be her and misinformed. 

I truly hope she gets wild guess lucky right here and rubs it in your face.  Bald Head Island is my favorite place on this planet, and that GFS run would do to it what Hazel did to Wrightsville Beach :(

Alas, I've learned to pay attention when Hky speaks...

6 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Come on y'all, Lithia says we ain't got anything to worry about.

The other day, I made a joke about being in the bullseye 10 days out (meaning, I was ultimately gonna be in the clear) and was basically scolded that hurricane tracks are much more stable than winter storms.

Anywho, my suspicion is that Irma is going to interact with land enough (either directly or ingesting dry air or whatever) which will weaken her to a Cat 3 or below when she finally makes landfall in the US.  This isn't set in stone, but it's what I would guess at this point.  If she avoids land and then hits FL, then she'll probably be a Cat 4/5 at impact.  If she slides up the east coast of FL, I bet she will weaken before hitting SC/NC.  Essentially, I don't favor SC/NC getting hit by a Cat 4/5 right now.

54 minutes ago, JacobNC said:

Wilmington would handle Cat 4-5 better than OBX/Hampton Roads, which would pretty much be wiped off the map due to storm surge. ILM is at least at 30-40 ft above sea level. But it would not be pretty.

Exactly. Half of my area is <10ft above sea level. plus we're surrounded by bodies of water. Cat 4 would wipe off most of Va Beach and Norfolk off the map. But then again, cat 4 up here is borderline impossible

Can someone explain why Wilmington NWS just mentions Irma in two sentences saying the forecast depends on track?  Where GSP basically dedicates the entire long term discussion, as they have for multiple days, to the subject.  Yet, we are 100+ miles inland and in much less danger than places like Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.  

Seems like a gross misjustice to the residents who live in the area. 

IMG_1787.PNG

1 minute ago, GunBlade said:

Can someone explain why Wilmington NWS just mentions Irma in two sentences saying the forecast depends on track?  Where GSP basically dedicates the entire long term discussion, as they have for multiple days, to the subject.  Yet, we are 100+ miles inland and in much less danger than places like Myrtle Beach and Wilmington.  

IMG_1787.PNG

What is there really to say that wasnt covered there....most folks down here are pretty hurricane savvy I promise you Irma isnt gonna sneak up on anyone in eastern NC.....and this was written before the 18Z GFS came back to NC.  

2 minutes ago, GunBlade said:

IMG_1787.PNG

The just say only what they actually know. No speculation.  Despite 1000 posts, what is in those two sentences is all we know as well.

Well, my flood insurance (and wind/hail) is all paid up...but I still much rather not have a cat 3/4 hurricane strike ILM (and I'm closer to Carolina Beach).  Then again, I've got family all over Florida, so it's a case of pick your poison.  Definitely hoping for Cuba to shred it down and hit Florida as a much weakened storm.

Wherever it goes though, gotta be on guard and be ready to get the heck out of the way, if necessary.  Just amazing how powerful this storm is.

Archived