SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in the main thread, but it's unreadable at the moment. It's interesting to note the perturbations on the Euro ensemble with stronger wind/pressure definitely tend to cluster further north. Makes me wonder if once the initializations start become more in line w/ reality, whether we'll see a jump north towards the GFS. The euro just appears too far south given the trough complex over the Eastern CONUS and also the stubbornness of a UL wanting to pinch off. That's a feature that has been shown for days off and on. This track is far from set in stone, obviously.

ec.png

My parents just moved into a house last fall with access to the intercoastal waterway, between Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach. Watching the latest GFS run felt like the equivalent of someone hitting me in the face with a large shovel.

The good news is this storm is 6 days away and this run is on the extreme eastern end of guidance. The bad news is (and I think downeastnc alluded to it earlier) it seems like every one of these tropical systems end up trending further up the coast as we get closer to landfall. They almost never trend further south. (the biggest exception I can think of is Hugo, and a big exception he is)

It’s going to be a long week..

With a 1020 high over NE and a more realistic 930-940 cane land falling over ILM everyone NE of the center is gonna get effed up. We saw the same thing here in Fran where PGV had one of the highest gust in the storm ( away from the coast). Still this is far out and this will move again though that track is classic and I get nervous whenever the models go back to it. 

16 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Posted this in the main thread, but it's unreadable at the moment. It's interesting to note the perturbations on the Euro ensemble with stronger wind/pressure definitely tend to cluster further north. Makes me wonder if once the initializations start become more in line w/ reality, whether we'll see a jump north towards the GFS. The euro just appears too far south given the trough complex over the Eastern CONUS and also the stubbornness of a UL wanting to pinch off. That's a feature that has been shown for days off and on. This track is far from set in stone, obviously.

ec.png

Now this is quality posting folks....that make a lot of sense and explains why the Euro is in Cuba since its 40-50mb off with initialization...

2 minutes ago, mjwise said:

The only model consensus at this point seems to be that somewhere in CONUS between west coast of Florida and Carolinas is going to get a Cat4+ whallop. I think OTS is a pipe dream at this point. That ridge in the Atlantic isn't budging.

Crap.

5 minutes ago, JacobNC said:

Maybe the east trend continues and it goes OTS, or hits farther north like NJ/NY/New England/Canada? I want to be on the west side of the storm to get cool temps.

Its unlikely to go up the coast much farther due to the high up there....it will hit somewhere between FL and NC....it would be tough for it to get far enough east to skirt the OBX before moving NW again.

Just now, downeastnc said:

Its unlikely to go up the coast much farther due to the high up there....it will hit somewhere between FL and NC....it would be tough for it to get far enough east to skirt the OBX before moving NW again.

Wilmington would handle Cat 4-5 better than OBX/Hampton Roads, which would pretty much be wiped off the map due to storm surge. ILM is at least at 30-40 ft above sea level. But it would not be pretty.

1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

I'm saying the same thing. Drove home today and took time and looked at everything, and realized it's so beautiful here! Cary would never be the same if the 18z is right :( 

There would be a lot less pine trees, no doubt. However, the amount of yankees would stay the same most likely! ;)

48 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Throw something against the wall GFS it will stick eventually lol 

Don't know if any of the extra soundings today influenced this change or not. It will be interesting to see if any subsequent model runs show this same solution or to see if the Euro makes any changes leaning in this direction.

Archived