• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irma

downeastnc

What do you know that we don't know that she is even going to get close to have any effects at all.. Most models show Cuba having really no effect at all.. Your making it sound like the Strom is just gonna die and fizzle out.. no need to down play and possible dangerous situation for some folks in the u.s

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

He's not. A direct hit on the southern part of Cuba, at a slow speed, will significantly mitigate the strength of Irma. The mountains will disrupt the circulation and, given enough time, will significantly weaken the storm. Doesn't mean it cannot re strengthen with those ultra hot sst s, however, the models showing no effect on a direct hit to Cuba are flat out wrong.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

UK ensembles updated...still over Cuba but tracks bulk of members off eastern side of FL.  Previous runs had them over Hisp and south of Cuba, now north of Hisp and over Cuba.

Yeah I wonder what it is making the OP run so far west, if you looked at the Euro ens without the mean or OP track overlaid and were asked to draw where you thought the OP run would be, would you really draw the OP run the 12Z had lol....I  wouldnt. I would have gone with something very similar to the GFS run but more towards Charleston/Myrtle Beach. I have to believe if Irma runs on or north of track the next 24-36 hrs we see them correct back NE quite a bit as the southern  ens runs dont pan out. 

5:00 PM AST Tue Sep 5
Moving: W at 15 mph
Min pressure: 926 mb
Max sustained: 185 mph

The eye of Irma is within range of the Meteo France radar in the
northeastern Caribbean, and recent images show the development of
an outer eyewall, likely the beginning stages of an eyewall
replacement.  These changes in inner-core structure will likely
result in fluctuations in intensity during the next couple of days.
Otherwise, increasing upper-ocean heat content and a very favorable
upper-level pattern are expected to allow Irma to remain a category
4 or 5 hurricane during the next several days.  Once again, the NHC
forecast shows limited interaction of the hurricane with the islands
of the Greater Antilles.

39 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Cuba will shread up Irma if she passes too close.  She looks to pass at least near Cuba which will likely weaken her even if she never makes LF there.  High terrain will just wreck a tropical system for those that don't know.   

How disrupted did Irma get?  How are the conditions for redevelopment in that part of the ocean?  How much time does she spend near those mountains?  Lots of questions still out there.  But all of that added up tells me Irma will never be the same again after her approach to Cuba.  Could she still go back cat3 or 4,  sure but there are going to be things working against a monster cane after that dance with Cuba.  JMO,  I'm just a weather nerd  

keep in mind the central northern part of Cuba is flat. The mtns are on the book ends so to speak andI beleive its the eastern ones that are highest. that north shore in the center is like a coastal plain

20 minutes ago, DixieBlizzard said:

I really think some guys "think" they want a Cat5 to head their way, until a CAT5 heads their way. You must not like Chinquapin, NC., if you want this in your backyard. Where I would love to chase a Cat 1 or Cat 2, no way would I want this monster heading my way intact.

Considering I live hear there and lived through Floyd, I agree. In no way do I want this thing coming up this way but at the same time, in no way am I going to discount it. Saw that done during Floyd and Matthew last year and it was a total cluster for the"experts".

1 hour ago, LithiaWx said:

The NC centric comments would lead novice to think you guys were under the same threat as you were a couple of days ago where both globals were showing a storm around SAV - CHS.  

Dont confuse dininished threat with no threat, please. 

You refuse to grow up. 

First of all, take the banter over to the banter thread. Yes, whining about "NC centric posts" would qualify as banter. 

Personally, in this part of NC, I am concerned that many of the models, for days now, have shown a very dangerous scenario for my back yard and further south into SC. Do you know why I post about those locations? Because it's where I live. If you're feeling froggy and want a Georgia or Florida centric thread, then create such a thread. 

We we are not going down this same whiny road again this year. 

1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

You refuse to grow up. 

First of all, take the banter over to the banter thread. Yes, whining about "NC centric posts" would qualify as banter. 

Personally, in this part of NC, I am concerned that many of the models, for days now, have shown a very dangerous scenario for my back yard and further south into SC. Do you know why I post about those locations? Because it's where I live. If you're feeling groggy and want a Georgia or Florida centric thread, then create such a thread. 

Yep, a lot of ENS still put this thing up the coast, and honestly the spread is frightening....heck I would almost feel better if SC/NC border was the current landfall spot being modeled as its still 5 days out and shifts are surely going to occur, looking at the ensembles makes me fear those shifts will be east. 

25 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

You refuse to grow up. 

Personally, in this part of NC, I am concerned that many of the models, for days now, have shown a very dangerous scenario for my back yard and further south into SC. Do you know why I post about those locations? Because it's where I live. If you're feeling froggy and want a Georgia or Florida centric thread, then create such a thread. 

And it's much less ominous than it was a couple of days ago for those locations.  South Florida is under the biggest threat by far.  Please reread the posts from me today in this thread.  I've added some other content today that is more realavant to comment on imo.  

Archived