Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There's not one snow lover here that isn't somewhat concerned to worried that the persistent Midwest trough which has kept us normal this summer is going to completely flip . One eyed pig and SE ridge replacing it. You can sense the anxiety in all the winter lovers posts . Some just express it differently . Like you in your previous 2 posts.

lol...normal for who?  I'm running top 5 coolest since 1985.  How is that normal?  I thought normal to you was 95/75 every day?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Makes 6 days in a row now for me with lows in the 40s.

Last 6 days' minima:  44, 42, 38, 43, 37, and prob. 39-40 this AM.  Highs were 67-71, unless today was outside that range.  About avg for the equinox.  Nip of frost for my garden Sat. morning?  Maybe, if the wind quits soon enough.

Too early for me to try and relate current temps to the coming winter.  I'd rather wait until Oct-Nov; Farmington snowfall shows a slight negative relationship with BN temps in Oct, slight positive for BN in Novie.   Summer temps are all over the place.  Both my warmest JJA (1999) and coolest (2009) were followed by ratters, while the 2nd coolest (2007) preceded my snowiest of 19.  As Will noted, the cool 1986 summer was followed by a snowy winter.  So (in NNJ) was NYC's hottest (until 2010) and driest JJA on record.  66-67 was 2nd snowiest (behind 60-61) of my NNJ winters, with the outlandish 3.0" on 4/27 tipping the total over 100". 

Just looked outside and had a stroke.  The mega-group of turkeys that has been loitering all week got brave and came out front to dig around in my garden. 

Naturally I slithered up the back side of the gazebo and ambushed them.  If you haven't been in the middle of 15 turkeys taking flight, you are really missing out.  More wind than Irene.

Turkeys are terrible parents btw.  The 3 adults totally abandoned the other medium sized ones.

46 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I worry when James awakens from the dawn to go on a posting spree.

28 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Just looked outside and had a stroke.  The mega-group of turkeys that has been loitering all week got brave and came out front to dig around in my garden. 

Naturally I slithered up the back side of the gazebo and ambushed them.  If you haven't been in the middle of 15 turkeys taking flight, you are really missing out.  More wind than Irene.

Turkeys are terrible parents btw.  The 3 adults totally abandoned the other medium sized ones.

both the posts made me laugh out loud, nicely done

One of our cats was stalking the turkey flock yesterday by the bird feeder. I bet the turkey would win.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah 99% it's a bobcat. Need a good pic of a long tail on it to think cougar. 

We saw a mountain lion in Bradford RI in 88 , there actually is a website dedicated to mountain lion sightings in SNE. I think Bobcat here but apparently there are clearer pics. Waiting for the golf pro JJ to post them.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We saw a mountain lion in Bradford RI in 88 , there actually is a website dedicated to mountain lion sightings in SNE. I think Bobcat here but apparently there are clearer pics. Waiting for the golf pro JJ to post them.

There was the legit wild cougar killed in SW CT in 2011. It was a male that had roamed from South Dakota. Pretty crazy. 

I think all previous reports in New England  have been escaped cougars from captivity. There's been maybe one or two that were a little more ambiguous. 

Most sightings though end up as mistaken identity bobcats. 

36 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wow think my pool is toast this early 65 degrees and zero heat showing up. Early closing imminent.  Talked to a bunch of peeps at Berkshire East Sunday, they lived in WMA and were saying they were closing up the pools early. Unless you have a heater it's ovah

140,000 btu heater in my new in ground thats scheduled for completion this week.  Should make it thru September anyway.  We'll see.  

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wow think my pool is toast this early 65 degrees and zero heat showing up. Early closing imminent.  Talked to a bunch of peeps at Berkshire East Sunday, they lived in WMA and were saying they were closing up the pools early. Unless you have a heater it's ovah

65F in my pool as well.   Disastah 

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was the legit wild cougar killed in SW CT in 2011. It was a male that had roamed from South Dakota. Pretty crazy. 

I think all previous reports in New England  have been escaped cougars from captivity. There's been maybe one or two that were a little more ambiguous. 

Most sightings though end up as mistaken identity bobcats. 

Show me the body...otherwise, I remain skeptical.  Mountain lions are friggin huge.

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Shut all pools down. Even in a hot September, no one swims once school starts, early darkness, sports schedules. Summer ends as soon as school starts. Weather or not

I actually agree with you in this. Of course I've never had a mega pool with a heater. If I ever paid that much, I would be making my family swim even when the first flurries of October fall from the sky. 

Archived