Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I think we could have an amazing foliage season with the very wet first half of summer, and now tons of dry, clear days with good diurnal ranges.  Later this week should accelerate it more.  

If we don't get a good ridge period, maybe an early foliage season?

Most swamp maples (just a name for red maples with wet feet) are fully colored.  That's not unusual for late August, but the rich reds and burgundies bode well for when the upland trees change.  

Just now, tamarack said:

Most swamp maples (just a name for red maples with wet feet) are fully colored.  That's not unusual for late August, but the rich reds and burgundies bode well for when the upland trees change.  

Yeah that's good news.

Here's a shot from today...its really not much at all, but a very subtle change from in the past two days.  It's no longer just full deep green but a bit of a yellow or lighter hue showing up in areas.  Give it 3 more weeks of this weather and this view will be on fire.

MjDvnIv.jpg

34 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

how can it already be so cold

this weather sucks and you should feel bad if you like it

I've also noticed that... just how fast it cools off now compared to a few weeks ago. 

From 72F to 56F here in a couple hours with the sunset this evening.  16F drop very quickly.  Fall is in the air...goes from comfy warm outside to pants and jackets each night around sunset.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Snowmobiles being mentioned in the ski season thread. Can I get a decent running older sled for like 1k? Maybe 1500. Doesn't have to be super special. 

I'll sell you one for $1500. 2002 Arctic Cat ZL550. Fuel injected, Electric start, reverse around 3000 miles. My son put on 7-800 miles last winter. It's a solid starter sled. 

Snowmobiles being mentioned in the ski season thread. Can I get a decent running older sled for like 1k? Maybe 1500. Doesn't have to be super special. 

Should be able to get something closer to the $1,500.00 range, May still need some work done to it though.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I'll sell you one for $1500. 2002 Arctic Cat ZL550. Fuel injected, Electric start, reverse around 3000 miles. My son put on 7-800 miles last winter. It's a solid starter sled. 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Should be able to get something closer to the $1,500.00 range, May still need some work done to it though.

No work needed on mine!

aside from mreaves offer, the answer is most likely no. for under 2k you would have to put some work into it. And unless you know what you are doing, that work could cost some $$

20 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

aside from mreaves offer, the answer is most likely no. for under 2k you would have to put some work into it. And unless you know what you are doing, that work could cost some $$

Yeah mine is pretty old but, like I said, it's in good shape and ran well all last season.  My son can run it again this year but I want to go all 4 stroke for my mini fleet. 

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

I was commenting to someone the other day that we really didn't get the leathery stage this year.  I would think that with ample moisture and no big stretches of heat that the trees are a little less stressed than usual.

Funny--I was thinking that I didn't see the leathery look this year.  I did notice a general difference on a hill-side driving home last night which I interpret it as the start of good things to come.

This should be (or might already be) the coolest night of the recent stretch for the Pit.  Sitting at 50.1 at 3:30am.   40's or bust.

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Piper gonna be paid. Everyone knows it too

Who knows.  I was looking at my records this morning and this summer is probably going to come in at #3 or #4 coolest since 1985.  Interestingly, 1986 was cooler and I still had above normal snowfall, including my latest measurable snowfall of 4/28/1987.  1987 also had my earliest with 10/4/1987.   Not every year is analog but you just never know.  Take winter 2002...warmest on my record and we even had a heatwave in April but it snowed in May.  Go figure.

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Funny--I was thinking that I didn't see the leathery look this year.  I did notice a general difference on a hill-side driving home last night which I interpret it as the start of good things to come.

This should be (or might already be) the coolest night of the recent stretch for the Pit.  Sitting at 50.1 at 3:30am.   40's or bust.

The gorges on the Deerfield,  which are astoundingly beautiful had a definite fall start look with some color

Archived