Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What happens if you get a damp tropical evening of 78/71-can easily happen.  When I used to install and uninstall I'd always wait until 10/1.

Few and far between now...early September sometimes might have them, but the ensembles show the wrong pattern for it, so we're probably good through mid-month...by then it's like getting a rogue humid evening in mid-May...long before most of us install anyway.

16 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I need A/C right through October

If I lived on the south coast of MA...I'd probably not install until 6/20 or 7/1 but then wait until October to uninstall...definitely a more skewed season down there.

Signs of fall...the pit at SLK getting colder.

A sign of fall is showing up in some of the guidance, with the nam's met MOS guidance showing a low of 33f at Saranac Lake. Used a blend of guidance, so "only" have 38f for a low. However, I did spend a moment thinking whether or not I needed to add in any "patchy frost" to the forecast for those cold locations. In the end, I did not. But sooner than later frost is something we'll be talking more about. &&

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Few and far between now...early September sometimes might have them, but the ensembles show the wrong pattern for it, so we're probably good through mid-month...by then it's like getting a rogue humid evening in mid-May...long before most of us install anyway.

But what's the upside of uninstalling now vs 6 weeks from now?   One humid evening in the 30 days of September makes it worth waiting.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But what's the upside of uninstalling now vs 6 weeks from now?   One humid evening in the 30 days of September makes it worth waiting.

It gets cold on some September nights. Again, maybe if I'm down near the coast (esp south coast), I don't worry about it...but why should I keep it in when there could be nights in the 40s and a low chance I'll actually need it?

Lucky for me I got central air now...so no more uninstalling and installing.

35 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Probably depends on the type of AC...I mean is it worth it if you have window units all over and can't open those windows on nice low dew fall days?  Just for possibly one humid day?  

I have a wall unit but never used it this summer...haven't turned it on once.  My heat had a better chance of coming on at 55F this summer (and this week) if I left all sliding doors and my windows open at night.

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It gets cold on some September nights. Again, maybe if I'm down near the coast (esp south coast), I don't worry about it...but why should I keep it in when there could be nights in the 40s and a low chance I'll actually need it?

Lucky for me I got central air now...so no more uninstalling and installing.

I always found that the held house heat is adequate for September.  Like you, central a/c so yes or no is a touch screen away...lol.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't follow the logic. You install in April so it's done and in . Start using it a bit in May , and uninstall mid-late Sept after the threat of high dews has passed

Why risk it? What if you get that screaming sou'easter in October? 

You don't want that mugginess in the house all winter.

Feels like time for pumpkin spice beer and colored leaves outside this evening.  I'm not ready for that yet, would like a bit warmer weather to hold on for a while.

This evening's 3 mile loop with the dog along the river certainly had an autumn appeal with the temperatures. 

The mountain valleys were clear while the cloud bank was just over the Spine axis where the orographic lift is maximized. 

oJmnvF1.jpg

The crazy thing while walking on the Rec Path is how when you are in the woods it feels milder, while when you then walk out into the fields you can feel a big difference.  It felt like it was a 5-10F difference going from the woods to out in the middle of the big sports fields.  Crazy how different that is right around sunset when the fields are losing heat like its their job as the inversion develops and the wind goes calm.

A few crisp nights coming up when its widespread 50s by 8pm.

mesoanalysisT.thumb.png.c7731eee6d1f394904f4aa1830c52f12.png

8 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Not ever living near the ocean, the constant raised dew points are eye opening and something I can not get used to. The Dew point in Sandwich is still 60-61...while it plymouth it's 50-51 currently

60-61? That's not bad lol. SSTs are warm so you want a more NW wind. Your winds are N-NE as a srfc trough is hanging around.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, eekuasepinniW said:

That walking cactus is up to no good. I think it was Cool Spruce who disliked them for the damage they do to trees.

And I second that with fervor.  One of those beasts did major damage to my apple trees last winter.  Fortunately for him/her, I never was home when it was doing its misdeeds, or I'd have acquainted it with my Mossberg .22.

Not much of one temp wise.

"Summer" temps began with the 91 on May 18 and ended with the 87 I recorded on June 12.  Has not reached 85 since.

10 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Not ever living near the ocean, the constant raised dew points are eye opening and something I can not get used to. The Dew point in Sandwich is still 60-61...while it plymouth it's 50-51 currently

Seabreeze's help immensely though.  The week we were in Truro the temps were in the mid/upper 70s and the dews were in the upper 60s most of the time but you didn't really feel it due to the constant breeze.

Have central so don't have to install/uninstall but as has been said, dews hang on well into sept down here. Will run AC whenever dews get into the 60's. its not expensive to run to keep the moisture out of the house and it protects things in the house from getting damp and damaged. especially the case when we get heavy fog, which we see a lot this time of year - tuesday was a good example - had sunny and 90 all the home from syracuse and came home to a marine layer and 75 when we got home that afternoon.

Archived