Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am annoyed by this lazy approach to just generalize the impact of easterly winds on the coastal plane....requires a bit more critical thinking.

you can be annoyed all you want, doesn't change the fact there are strong easterlies in the BL advecting warm air near the coast, why you take this as meaning you is what is annoying.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Who said anything about Ray? He said Tarmac I said 10 to 15 miles inland. Those 950 numbers came from which model?

You are correct you didn't specifically mention Ray, but you replied to him and said fat flakes melting 10-15 miles inland. I would take the under on that distance easily.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Hell, the lower level soundings are cold enough that I might forecast a sleet bomb for some folks before I'd forecast rain if the mid-levels end up too warm for snow.

I was just saying that for BOS internally. I could see why it may happen should the NAM be partly correct.

4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Ugh. We are talking past each other here. That's my point. Why the lower confidence if it's all about the mid levels, as will and 40/70 are saying? The mid levels are ice cold north of bosoton.

I don't know what to tell you. Even in damming situations, warm air can wrap around to the east as the mid level warm fronts lines up on the coast. Your slam dunk warnings, can turn into sleet or freezing rain and look silly a lot faster than the interior zones.

I'm just at home trying to offer you a reason why the watches aren't exactly where you want them.

If it's cold relatively low in the atmosphere...say 950mb....then that usually will wipe out a mild sfc pretty fast in heavy precip because of latent cooling. Latent cooling will probably be much more powerful than any advection from east wind once you are off the docks and beaches. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't know what to tell you. Even in damming situations, warm air can wrap around to the east as the mid level warm fronts lines up on the coast. Your slam dunk warnings, can turn into sleet or freezing rain and look silly a lot faster than the interior zones.

I'm just at home trying to offer you a reason why the watches aren't exactly where you want them.

?. I'm in agreement with there NOT being watches in said areas, along the coast. I.e it's a good call so far...

33 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I think there are a lot of red flags on this one. First, it's a fairly long duration, light precipitation event in the late season. I'm not seeing those 6hr frames of .5-.75" QPF that make me want to think huge dynamics overpowering a mediocre, late March airmass.

Second, due to the long duration and slow movement of the storm, there is an extended period of east winds at the coast. This is especially true with the H5 track. Maritime air could easily make it into Boston and then you're left with a 35F rain or non accumulating catpaws.

Finally, the surface low is fairly weak. This isn't a 980mb bomb. Nothing in common with 4/1/97 or 4/15/07. A weaker surface low will result in less dynamic cooling.

:huh:

BOS//

42038989566 03510 150923 46000000 

48108989457 34407 090729 48000102 

54110978858 10816 080431 46009900 

60028965850 -3613 100230 45000098 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:huh:

BOS//

42038989566 03510 150923 46000000 

48108989457 34407 090729 48000102 

54110978858 10816 080431 46009900 

60028965850 -3613 100230 45000098 

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.  This is a weak, sheared out mess in March... no way it'll snow save those picnic tables!

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

No thanks. You always manage to resort to personal attacks though.

He is annoyed we aren't talking about him I guess. I agree with will that his could be a sleet fest rather than rain but inside 128 and 95 is a tough call. Also that Gloucester area North could get pounded once the winds veer NE. We await the king

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Heavy precipitation advects that into the BL, which cools it a bit...even at the beach to a degree.

Learn some things.

You may have a little hydrometeor drag, but I don't think advect is the right term here. Sinking air warms...not cools. One of the big problems I think is models just flat out over doing the warmth at the sfc when H95 is relatively cold. I guess if the delta is high enough even sinking air from H95 could cause the sfc to cool (like a katabatic wind), but I think it's more of a case of latent cooling...whether there's still some room for wetbulbing to allow for a little evaporative cooling or in these isothermal paste jobs some latent cooling from partial melting. Of course with heavy precip rates you have strong lift and that's where you get most of your cooling dynamically.

1 minute ago, danstorm said:

Don't let facts get in the way of a good narrative.  This is a weak, sheared out mess in March... no way it'll snow save those picnic tables!

1 minute ago, danstorm said:

I think his point is that we have heavy precip rates.

My concerns in order for keeping snow accumulations fairly conservative north of the pike in SNE would be:

1. Midlevel temps/track 

2. Do dynamics weaken a bit later in the storm? (This is kind of related to number 1...weakening dynamics would slow the cooling process aloft) 

Archived