Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Lucy I'm home?, exactly why we wait for 12Z today before sounding the whistles. I think NWS and local mets are doing a great job with this laying low until its time to pull a trigger for amounts good or bad. The rush to put numbers out there can bite ya in the arse

I'm fine with my first call ranges.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I think we are seeing dynamics play around with the temps. Look how temps cool again as thicknesses drop on 12z saturday. I wonder if this is a lesson in placement of 850-700 lows and maintaining precip rates vs model noise of bounding around temps. 

I thought about that a lot. I still think BL is affected by strong inflow near the NE Mass coast, tough call

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's a huge drop pretty much everywhere except NE Mass from 00z and 06z.

The RGEM was widespread like 30+mm prior to that.  Maybe we are narrowing in on a smaller region of big snows....with more widespread 3-8".

thats pretty ugly, very NAMish in the adriondacks with sleet driving into NNE.  On the other hand the GFS drops 20+ at Gore.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That is a track that normally would have me nude right now. Classic look. 

Yeah that's what I was saying earlier. If I was looking just at the mid-level low placement without any thermal guidance I wouldn't have any worries about a ML warmth push to the NH/MA border. 

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Having such a weak sauce high to the north doesn't help. 

I mean the placement maintaining itself is good. It's just what happens near 6z as warmer air tries to move in before winds turn erly and cuts off the warming near 12z.  I'm still being conservative unless euro tells me otherwise. At least for Boston. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm surprised at how conservative the NWS is going as well... I'd think ALY and GYX would've gone slam dunk Warnings already for their SNH/SVT zones. 

It seems some storms you look at the forecasts and its widespread 12-18" and you are scratching your head and then there are ones like this where models are throwing some huge moisture out there and places are worried about going more than 7-12". 

I was surprised there wasn't more impact hit by the NWS in what has always looked like a high impact zone of RT 2 up into central VT/NH.

I'm also surprised ALY has nothing in the Catskills...even if its not going to be snow that looks like 1"+ of QPF as sleet and freezing rain.  Especially for those 2,000ft towns.

I think there are a lot of red flags on this one. First, it's a fairly long duration, light precipitation event in the late season. I'm not seeing those 6hr frames of .5-.75" QPF that make me want to think huge dynamics overpowering a mediocre, late March airmass.

Second, due to the long duration and slow movement of the storm, there is an extended period of east winds at the coast. This is especially true with the H5 track. Maritime air could easily make it into Boston and then you're left with a 35F rain or non accumulating catpaws.

Finally, the surface low is fairly weak. This isn't a 980mb bomb. Nothing in common with 4/1/97 or 4/15/07. A weaker surface low will result in less dynamic cooling.

Archived