Newest Member
    joxey
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Where were you exactly?  I was in western Chester County, I remember getting lots if 24-28" measurements, although that was along time ago and I was young high school weenie and don't have any exact records or anything.

South East Montgomery County - next to St. Joes. I think my 37" was a little weenie measurement as noted. Prob. is a 32" IRL. But it is my record and I'm sticking with it. 

<end off topic>

It's now stopped snowing in BTV and the west wind is picking up. Suspect Froude numbers are rising and the blocked flow is building snow over the mtns. 

29 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

34" storm total so far on Mansfield.  Another 12" since 5am.... that's 12" in 8 hours.

It is pure fluff now.  This is finishing off with like 30:1 type ratios.

Only another .5" inches of water left to get through tonight.....who doesn't need another 4-8" of upslope fluff? 

3 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

I lasted until 2:15 with Snow and Sleet.  Rain Now.  Basically No Wind as is usual here.  

9.25"      55.5" Season    

I saw an e-mail on my phone that said I got a $200 Ticket for 11kph over on my 2 hour drive to Amsterdam's AMS Airport yesterday, upping my total to get here at $900.  The storm yesterday downed half of a small tree and a Major branch of an important pine tree.  NOTHING in the world depresses more than losing parts of trees; the love for the environment is the foundation for my love of snow.  The entire 2nd half of the day was shoveling gloppy snow in the WORST weather imaginable: Wind Driven Rain with Sleet included to be pelting you, at 34*.  Today has been the iciest and most Dangerous day I can remember, including the fact that Every chunk of snow has a chance to pierce the tires of the car, AND the chunks of ice in the wheel well took 30 minutes to get out while freezing my fingers off, and I probably damaged the body work as Carefully as I was doing it.  Wouldn't budge, just like Rocks.  There is also no snow on the trees, so it looks like Crap.  The snow piles of course in this type of snow, look like crap.  I'm probably going to rip my coat as well since Everything is a knife today.  That's what I came home for.  This stuff.  And not even the basic 12" storm.  NOT EVEN the February "tiny" storm; 4.25" Less than that.  

Fu*k Snow.  I'm done with it.  The indescribable love + tracking (the love itself started at birth) that started in 2002 and officially began with the 2002 Christmas storm where I was predicted at 16-24, went to bed with 4" of powder, to wake up to 4" of glop, can ONLY be matched in disappointment by this storm.  So it is fitting that this is the end of the road.  I'm moving to LA, and I will no longer care to ever come back for snow, nor care when I miss one.  Northern RI has been 75% disappointment, 20% whatever, 5% elation; matched by the fact that the only storm I jackpotted  since the Great Snow Era began in 1992 was not a storm but 2 quick small storms together in January 2010...... which I was in LA for.  February 7th, 2003 will always be my Favorite storm, as it was unarguably 4" per hour for 2 hours, and December 9th, where I can say I saw an actual lightning bolt hit the ground behind my house, will always be the best.  Some of you guys have my number and FB.  I've had some of my favorite times in life on here, and I wish you guys would have come to CN Mountain at some point.  Was always trying to set it up.  I always trusted you guys were the smartest in the business, and you have been.  Rarely ever wrong.  More right on this storm included than any Mets on TV and even the NWS.  I just can not spend the time on weather that I have been; it's way way too much considering I have 6 other hobbies from Motorsports to FreeSledding itself that take up enough time, and it's holding me back from fully moving to LA since the weather is ULTIMATE Anti-Cory weather.  Boring and Sunny.  So yes, for now - Snowman Out.  

Those grapes were probably sour, anyway.

2 hours ago, Mr. Windcredible! said:

Yeah that Middletown report is BS...someone measured in a drift. I'm surprised Upton kept it in their report since it was only a Public report anyway.

FWIW, I measured 3.5" here. That was after some sleet started mixing in, so might have been closer to 4". Either way giant bust...even the most conservative forecast here was 6-12". I'm usually conservative myself and figured we'd pull off 8" bare minimum. NAM nailed the thermal profile on the shoreline as I had been concerned about when Kevin was laughing at people for paying it any mind. I think the Bufkit numbers from the 18z run on Monday had GON at like 3" snow...maybe 6" for HVN...so basically right on the money for the shoreline.

did you see this? What a ridiculous weenie map, shading for CT is wayyy off. BTW i am working in Middletown right now. I will be taking a measurement shortly, i know it will be slightly less than yesterday but you can get an idea, its probably around 10 here right now.

boxC67LdLgWkAAnm9-.thumb.jpg.91b19d737a2275d64d4c6d1bd229828b.jpg

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

did you see this? What a ridiculous weenie map, shading for CT is wayyy off. BTW i am working in Middletown right now. I will be taking a measurement shortly, i know it will be slightly less than yesterday but you can get an idea, its probably around 10 here right now.

lol I measured 14 inches in southington...that map shows 18.5 inches..what BS that is!!  All those are Way off!   

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

lol I measured 14 inches in southington...that map shows 18.5 inches..what BS that is!!  All those are Way off!   

dumb. I tweeted back to them. This is like well lets take all the highest slanted drifted measurements and put them on a map so it looks like our FX was good, give me a break.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speechless.

Still heavy snow.  This was the big one.  

Hiked to the Coop stake and its back over 100".  Was 67" before the storm.

Hard to believe that I've gotten almost 20" and feel shafted! :lol:  This has been an odd winter, plenty of snow but not enough cold to keep it around away from the higher elevations.  I posted on another forum yesterday that I don't know if this is the crappiest good winter I've seen or the best crappy winter I've seen.  Either way because of the big meltdowns and lack of snow retention, I still have it as a D.  Maybe a C- if pushed. Realize that my rating is based on the way that I enjoy winter :sled: and to lose 2+ weeks of snowmobiling in January and the the same in February and early March, it makes it hard to bring it up to average.

41 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

New Fairfield report is bogus, I can throw a stone into their windows from my place. Southington too. Middletown lol. Bad job with this map. 

49 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I saw that last night... someone definitely stuck it in a drift in Southington. Measured 14.5" here.

Jesus...just got internet/cable back. Took me 7hrs to clear snow because I kept breaking shear pins...hadn't broken one all year until now. Had to shovel some to get the truck out to get more gas since I ran out. The mailbox got decapitated and I had to dig it out of a 4ft snowbank.

Fun times.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Hard to believe that I've gotten almost 20" and feel shafted! :lol:  This has been an odd winter, plenty of snow but not enough cold to keep it around away from the higher elevations.  I posted on another forum yesterday that I don't know if this is the crappiest good winter I've seen or the best crappy winter I've seen.  Either way because of the big meltdowns and lack of snow retention, I still have it as a D.  Maybe a C- if pushed. Realize that my rating is based on the way that I enjoy winter :sled: and to lose 2+ weeks of snowmobiling in January and the the same in February and early March, it makes it hard to bring it up to average.

lol, we rate the winter using the same formula.

42 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jesus...just got internet/cable back. Took me 7hrs to clear snow because I kept breaking shear pins...hadn't broken one all year until now. Had to shovel some to get the truck out to get more gas since I ran out. The mailbox got decapitated and I had to dig it out of a 4ft snowbank.

Fun times.

How's Eek? Why are you breaking shear pins?

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Are they cherrypicking the high outliers to verify their CT forecast?

At first glance, yes, but then you see donut holes up your way. I think its just a case of someone creating the map from the reports but not questioning any of them..unless it is done automatically through a program, not sure. 

At 3pm it was still snowing around 2"/hr at times up on the mountain.   I just can't believe how hard it snowed all day.  We got 8" yesterday, 14" last night and 14" more today.

This road was groomed flat with no snow on it yesterday morning.  Gives an idea of the accumulation in the high terrain.

17349828_10102902625003090_3323347475114

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

At 3pm it was still snowing around 2"/hr at times up on the mountain.   I just can't believe how hard it snowed all day.  We got 8" yesterday, 14" last night and 14" more today.

This road was groomed flat with no snow on it yesterday morning.  Gives an idea of the accumulation in the high terrain.

17349828_10102902625003090_3323347475114

where are their snorkels?

38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

lol, we rate the winter using the same formula.

Since I don't own a sled, I can be more generous.  If March finishes significantly BN (currently running -6 compared to my avg), temp will probably rate a C, with Dec & Mar BN, Jan-Feb well AN.  Snowfall will get at least A-, as it's 3rd of 19 for total, will probably be no worse than 4th for SDDs (with at least 16" continuously since 12/30), and had 3 storms 15"+.  So B/B- looks likely.

41 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At first glance, yes, but then you see donut holes up your way. I think its just a case of someone creating the map from the reports but not questioning any of them..unless it is done automatically through a program, not sure. 

That's a BOX generated map, correct? If so, they wouldn't care less to put the lowballers up from other CWAs.

Archived