joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very impressive storm this way. unfortunately had to sleep during the height of it during the day as i am working nights.  

couldnt get out of the parking lot (where i park) to work, had to have hospital security come and get me :lol:

lots of people were unable to get home tonite and back to burlington from here in saint albans, due to the height of the storm being around the commute home time.... many were put up for the night by the hospital, or just crashed in empty patient rooms.

not sure what the final total will be here but i am expecting to top 20 inches, with snow still falling and should through the morning hours.  somebody at work reported we had 18 inches at 9pm.

Just now, Organizing Low said:

agreed. seemed fishy.  however looking at the radar, they were in a death band at that time. 

would be nice to get some confirmation from environment canada tomorrow.

Montreal proper seemed to stay just north of the death band.  If u notice the snowfall rates didn't become super heavy...I bet they were 10cm/hr. just south of there. I thought maybe the unusual strong winds the dendrite experienced could have been caused by the same phenomenon. Idk.  

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Montreal proper seemed to stay just north of the death band.  If u notice the snowfall rates didn't become super heavy...I bet they were 10cm/hr. just south of there. I thought maybe the unusual strong winds the dendrite experienced could have been caused by the same phenomenon. Idk.  

totally agree. in fact was going to post something similar

the area between myself and montreal was what i thought was the location of the deathband for quite some time. i noticed that too on radar, though the band did eventually pivot N and West across the island eventually.

of course we will never know as there will be no obs from that region

i should just drive 30 minutes N and check it myself. i bet its a widespread 2 feet + in that area.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Heh...they still need like 8 more to get even.

This was a good ol' fashioned 1990s Nor' Easter...like I said earlier, reminded me a bit of March '94. You could have made an argument of calling it an anorexic '93 Superstorm. Those storms that used hit a huge swath of the northeast.

:lol:

perrfect analogy i thought

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Why do you always reference NWS? We believe you.

Hahah well I was mentioning it this time because someone said they reported over 24 which can't be since they had 17.8 at 4am or so and I never saw an update after that . Anyway with the drifting it is all best estimates. The plow walls are huge and we are buried.

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Hahah well I was mentioning it this time because someone said they reported over 24 which can't be since they had 17.8 at 4am or so and I never saw an update after that . Anyway with the drifting it is all best estimates. The plow walls are huge and we are buried.

They reported 24.8" in NWSChat. 

9 hours ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

Hi, Pico will be like Killington...and I can tell you that will be splendid.  Okemo looks to have a little less but still utterly blanketed. Things will still be epic for the weekend. Look at the temps,and potentially a little  more snow may fall.

It's a win-win for you :)

Thanks!  Skiing today at Magic or Stratton.  Probably will decide in Brattleboro.

14 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Ok so I likely low balled it here and measured where too much snow blew out as NWS BTV is reported 24.8". Either way it is deep out there and just about the largest synoptic event I have seen. 

You will accept your 2 feet and you will like it!  You are so emotionally scarred after the last 2 years.  

Archived