Newest Member
    Dano62
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The ALY PNS has a ton of reports between 14-32" ...the list is really, really long. It's impressive.

The immediate Albany area did great and they're still getting a bit of Hudson Mohawk convergence enhancement.  But the really good mid-level deformation was in C and S NY as well as NE PA.  ALB actually ended up a little too far east.  That said, ALB reported many hours of heavy snow and I wish I still lived in the area for this one.

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

My snow guys looked like they were going to croak when they finished.  Storms like this is what I hired them for.  I'll revert back to doing it on my own after I retire-maybe lol.

I nearly keeled over after shoveling my car over. It was so densely packed with the wind it was coming up in huge blocks. 

Interesting storm from afar. The personal snow-loving dog always skews what is known and what actually is posted. Many fall victim to that in the forum.
Henceforth I'll try to remove bias a keep to known facts based on science.
I don't know if the graphics I post are useful, just curious, do forumites find them annoying?

Me thinks winter ain't done yet!
Freeze Watch in effect. My bones have acclimated nicely.     

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Nice, some backside Finger Lake effect snow going on now across CNY. 

Maybe that can spare ITH the embarrassment of not cracking 10" when one county away is measuring in feet.

That happened many a time...I remember in Jan 25, 2000 "model bust" storm...I think a bunch of towns like Greene, BGM, and Cortland all had 12"+ synoptically, and then we come in with 6". We got 7 inches that night/next morning on Cayuga effect to finish with 13" and spare the embarrassment of being like half of everyone else.

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

You should see the pics, 30 plus in many areas

I can imagine. 

Will is right, this does seem like a good old fashioned 90s blizzard. One where I would have changed over to rain, but heard on the news that night about some cow farm in NY that got 3 feet.

When did the west trend start in earnest.... within the final 24 hrs leading up?   Leaves one asking themselves other than signaling an opportunity for an event, and a hint at its strength, whats the point in tracking storms a week or more in advance in anything  but the most general of ways when the specifics arent even known until the last 24 hrs?  Kudos to the mesos for latching on to this last minute change, and fi on us who chose not to believe.

1 minute ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

When did the west trend start in earnest.... within the final 24 hrs leading up?   Leaves one asking themselves other than signaling an opportunity for an event, and a hint at its strength, whats the point in tracking storms a week in advance when the specifics arent even known until the last 24 hrs?  Kudos to the mesos for latching on to this last minute change, and fi on us who chose not to believe.

It wasn't really a last minute change. Models were west, then moved east, then moved back west in the end. 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Props to Wiz in that regard.

My 18-36" call was good.....it just verified like 25-50mi west of where I had it.

Probably matured a little too soon for us to keep the deformation nearby. By the time it got to our area it had already thrown the best forcing for deformation well to the west. 

I was hoping we'd get another New Years type storm that rapidly went to town overhead, keep the best banding close by.

1 minute ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

What did you have for w CT?

I always expected this to trend west, as I had w MA in the crosshairs since Friday night, but it ended up going even a bit more than I had anticipated. 

I thought there would be a bit more low level convergence back this way, too.

Blizzard of 2017: FINAL CALL.png

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

So I just measured on Google Earth: when I woke up from my nap to roof rattling gusts I couldn't see the condos across the street. That's only 75 yards away. I thought it was longer than 100. So color me impressed with the day time blizzard.

It was a good storm. Definitely won't lose sleep over missing it, but a great March storm. The winds in the interior, seemed to really rock. Something not always the case. You wonder if the lack of true arctic in March helped allow the profiles to mix a bit unlike a similar setup earlier in winter. It's one of many things, but it may have helped tap that rocket LLJ.

Archived