Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

And you can thank that guy you hate NAO who actually pulled this back west over Maine increasing your upslope numbers 

Ha, yeah big difference I guess in the NAO that suppresses everything and the NAO that rips everything due north up the coast-line and then into northern Maine.

We just haven't seen this type of evolution in a long time it seems.  Something that doesn't move ENE off the coast and actually curls back up NWward.

39 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Snowfall totals for the Blizzard in CT, used NWS PNS and here. Comments/corrections let me know. Table coming soon with amounts for CT.

Forecast verification: nailed the 12-20 range for most of CT but way too high on the shore and SE corner. 03_12.17_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.36647cb8ce3f71863248d8cce44ea1f0.jpg

I would probably take out the inflated Southington total, otherwise pretty solid. Love the maps by the way.

15 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Well....you weren't in the PNS and i didnt see you quote me or msg me your total...what is it?

4seasons, I quoted you on here and posted my 14 inch total for Southington!  Yet you put the inflated 18.5 inch total from the NWS????  I'm wondering why?  I even commented on your post of that inflated amount and you responded.   But that bogus amount is in your report?  Just wondering why?

I know I was discussing quebec with organizing low earlier.  Quite the gradient near the death band just south of downtown Montreal. 

1. SNOWFALL SUMMARY IN CENTIMETRES

* LAURENTIANS: 15 TO 25

* LACHUTE-ST-JEROME: 45 (OKA)

* MONT-TREMBLANT: 12 TO 15

* LANAUDIERE: 10 TO 20 IN THE EAST, 40 IN REPENTIGY

* MONTREAL/LAVAL 38 (PET AIRPORT), 47 (DOWNTOWN), 73 (SAINT-HUBERT),

68 (BELOEIL)

* VAUDREUIL/RICHELIEU VALLEY: 50 TO 75

* DRUMMONDVILLE-BOIS-FRANCS: 60 TO 70

* EASTERN TOWNSHIPS: 35 TO 60

* QUEBEC CITY: 30-50

* CHARLEVOIX: 40 (MASSIF)

* MAURICIE: 15 TO 20

* LAURENTIANS WILDLIFE RESERVE: 34

* SAGUENAY-EAST (MONT-EDOUARD): 30

* TEMISCOUATA: OVER 30

* KAMOURASKA-RIMOUSKI: 16 TO 20

* GASPE PENINSULA: 20

* GASPESIE PROVINCIAL PARK: 18 TO 20

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Warm Eek or cold Eek? Saw the news reports, max winds?

Warm.  My anemometer got 43mph from the relatively tame looking gusts earlier in the afternoon.  The wild gusts seemed to stay at tree-top height and only got measured as 20-25 mph along the waterfront.  The fact that Brian got 49 with his under-measuring equipment makes me feel pretty confident in saying 60-65mph.  

I couldn't get a window open in time to hear the gusts, so that's a bummer.  Volume is my preferred way to estimate wind, since cold white pine limbs don't move very much.  The twitter video that was posted earlier is pretty neat, that pine just looks like a statue tipping over.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Post damage pics

I'll take my camera with me on the way to the dentist tomorrow morning.  

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

As great as these big storms are, is rather a 50" pack gained by all under 10" events.

Who got the most in NY State?

And VT folks keep those pics coming I love it....I want to ski this weekend!!!!

Bring your sleds up. Grooming is happening as we speak. 

7 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 32.8” Snow/1.82” L.E.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 24.0

Snow Density: 4.2% H2O

Temperature: 20.3 F

Sky: Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 25.0 inches

Only you guys can have two and a half inches of snow and have your depth decrease

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Only you guys can have two and a half inches of snow and have your depth decrease

Yeah, with its current weight and unsettled state, the only way this snowpack can increase in overall depth right now is if it snows hard enough to outpace the rate of settling.

Just saw this explaining Metrocast's regionwide outage:

"Multiple uprooted trees pulled down poles and cut our fiber facilities on Middle Route, off State Route 107," he said.

"A second incident occurred when a fire in a manhole damaged a third-party's facilities which connect MetroCast to a Boston Internet peering center."

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

As great as these big storms are, is rather a 50" pack gained by all under 10" events.

Who got the most in NY State?

And VT folks keep those pics coming I love it....I want to ski this weekend!!!!

Some areas between ALB and BGM forecast areas got 35-40". That's probably the highest totals for synoptic snows. The northern greens will get the most overall if you include the upslope after the storm...but I usually consider that cheating for an actual storm total.  It's almost two events. It's like when SYR reported 43" for the Superstorm when a bunch of that was LES on the backside. I always heard that total referenced and they made it sound like it was the actual storm total from the coastal itself and not backside enhancement from lake. I remember when I actually found out like 20"+ was from lake effect, I felt misled, lol. It was deflating because I had always envisioned them under this synoptic death band that drops 40"+ and then found out that wasn't true. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some areas between ALB and BGM forecast areas got 35-40". That's probably the highest totals for synoptic snows. The northern greens will get the most overall if you include the upslope after the storm...but I usually consider that cheating for an actual storm total.  It's almost two events. It's like when SYR reported 43" for the Superstorm when a bunch of that was LES on the backside. I always heard that total referenced and they made it sound like it was the actual storm total from the coastal itself and not backside enhancement from lake. I remember when I actually found out like 20"+ was from lake effect, I felt misled, lol. It was deflating because I had always envisioned them under this synoptic death band that drops 40"+ and then found out that wasn't true. 

Will wouldnt a lot of that been the same synoptic snow that was over BGM with this one?  

Hartwick had 48 on Cocorahs according to BGM. BVT just reported 30.1 at 8pm

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

Sorry I wasn't clear lol.  The syr total in 93.  The banding that was over BGM during this storm...moved northwestward toward SYR.  

Oh yeah. A lot of it was. It was impressive but I think the synoptic total was still "only" around 2 feet in SYR. I remember we examined the storm closely in college and when combing over the obs and data found that they had a bit of a gap in the snowfall and the LES round was pretty clearly demarcated by the NW winds and a resuming of heavy snow obs. 

The best synoptic snow in the superstorm actually ended up being a little bit east of SYR anyway in the Catskills and Poconos and then arcing north to areas near Lake placid and NW of Plattsburgh. But obviously it was still pretty sick. Even as far west as near ROC had 20"+ from synoptic. 

2 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Kind of a bummer to think I'll probably never get a 30-40" storm here.  I can't even imagine that much at once.

Despite all the juiced up storms over the last decade, my biggest total in my 31 years at this location remains just 21".

What did you get in Feb and Mar 2001?

And I think we can pull off 30" if the banding pans out just right. 

The old Franklin COOP had 35" of snow on 4/12-13/1933 at 32-33F. He even added that it was "blue snow". I have no idea what that system was like. He had over 30" in Feb 69 too.

Oh yeah. A lot of it was. It was impressive but I think the synoptic total was still "only" around 2 feet in SYR. I remember we examined the storm closely in college and when combing over the obs and data found that they had a bit of a gap in the snowfall and the LES round was pretty clearly demarcated by the NW winds and a resuming of heavy snow obs. 

The best synoptic snow in the superstorm actually ended up being a little bit east of SYR anyway in the Catskills and Poconos and then arcing north to areas near Lake placid and NW of Plattsburgh. But obviously it was still pretty sick. Even as far west as near ROC had 20"+ from synoptic. 

ahh very good.  The BGM to Utica area is very impressive with this one, maybe even more impressive than 93 because of the much slower movement.  I think BUF and ROC will end up with a top 10 too, but that was a lot of lake enhancement, also.  

Just now, OSUmetstud said:

ahh very good.  The BGM to Utica area is very impressive with this one, maybe even more impressive than 93 because of the much slower movement.  I think BUF and ROC will end up with a top 10 too, but that was a lot of lake enhancement, also.  

Yeah that UCA (or maybe RME since UCA is decommissioned?) to BGM to BTV/PLB banding was amazing yesterday and last night. Took forever to finally fizzle. Much longer than model guidance had it. But that is one reason the deformation is always fun. Often models just underdo it in so many ways...intensity, duration, and width of coverage, etc. 

Archived