• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

Sweet pics from Freak and Eyewall. Definitely a different world up there with this one.

...Although it is nice to have snow on the ground today on my birthday (I am a winter baby, although not a met winter baby).  It felt and looked more like Jan/Feb early this a.m. with temps in the teens and a nice hard pack of cement on the ground.  Great stuff this week. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 41.0” Snow/2.03” L.E.

There are still a few flurries in the air here, but it looks like this event is just about done.  The overnight and morning observations are below:

Details from the 1:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Liquid Ratio: 40.5

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 19.6 F

Sky: Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 29.5 inches

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Liquid Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

5 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 41.0” Snow/2.03” L.E.

There are still a few flurries in the air here, but it looks like this event is just about done.  The overnight and morning observations are below:

Details from the 1:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 7.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Liquid Ratio: 40.5

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 19.6 F

Sky: Snow (2-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 29.5 inches

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Liquid Ratio: 25.0

Snow Density: 4.0% H2O

Temperature: 15.4 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 27.0 inches

Just wow.

51 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Sweet pics from Freak and Eyewall. Definitely a different world up there with this one.

...Although it is nice to have snow on the ground today on my birthday (I am a winter baby, although not a met winter baby).  It felt and looked more like Jan/Feb early this a.m. with temps in the teens and a nice hard pack of cement on the ground.  Great stuff this week. 

Happy happy happy birthday Garth!!

13 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some areas between ALB and BGM forecast areas got 35-40". That's probably the highest totals for synoptic snows. The northern greens will get the most overall if you include the upslope after the storm...but I usually consider that cheating for an actual storm total.  It's almost two events. It's like when SYR reported 43" for the Superstorm when a bunch of that was LES on the backside. I always heard that total referenced and they made it sound like it was the actual storm total from the coastal itself and not backside enhancement from lake. I remember when I actually found out like 20"+ was from lake effect, I felt misled, lol. It was deflating because I had always envisioned them under this synoptic death band that drops 40"+ and then found out that wasn't true. 

I'm so pissed....I had that band JUST too far east.

Blizzard of 2017_ FINAL CALL.png

15 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I had to take a sledge hammer to my parents' driveway to break up the crust. Hardest shoveling I can remember. 

I agree. My snowblower hated it, i literally had to take garden shovel/hoe and break up the top layer, and the bottom of my driveway where the plow pushed all the hard crusty snow up against it...forget about it. Took me almost 3 hours to clear my driveway, which normally would have taken 30 minutes.

One thing good about this storm is this snowpack has some serious staying power. You can literally walk on top of the snow without falling through (at least i can). I remember last year we got a storm on Mar 21st overnight and it evaporated into thin air by noon, almost 5 inches. But this 9-10" of concrete is staying like its early January. Unbelievable. 

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

I agree. My snowblower hated it, i literally had to take garden shovel/hoe and break up the top layer, and the bottom of my driveway where the plow pushed all the hard crusty snow up against it...forget about it. Took me almost 3 hours to clear my driveway, which normally would have taken 30 minutes.

One thing good about this storm is this snowpack has some serious staying power. You can literally walk on top of the snow without falling through (at least i can). I remember last year we got a storm on Mar 21st overnight and it evaporated into thin air by noon, almost 5 inches. But this 9-10" of concrete is staying like its early January. Unbelievable. 

Sounds like you waited to long.  I was on that snow at about 2:30 Tuesday knowing that I would not get much more, and the light rain was falling.  2 hours before it was pure fluff, when I started it was already heavy, and by the time I was finished it was much heavier.  

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Sounds like you waited to long.  I was on that snow at about 2:30 Tuesday knowing that I would not get much more, and the light rain was falling.  2 hours before it was pure fluff, when I started it was already heavy, and by the time I was finished it was much heavier.  

I did, but it was on purpose. The town didn't plow my street at all during the storm. So instead of doing my driving with the blower and then having to go out again the following morning and do the end of it all over again, i decided to wait. Didn't think it was going to be THAT bad. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sorry boys, snowpack at this stage is pointless. I like the chase and then the snow but pushing towards the spring equinox, the last thing I want is crusty ice hanging on for dear life ruining fairways and greens. Keep the pack up north for late season skiing, give me golf down here....best of both worlds. 

Mid April will be here soon enough. Until then keep em in the shed 

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Man you guys got some weak trees in New England. A few 50mph gusts and whole forests are blown down. Wow.

I take it you don't have white pine there?  It's sometimes hard to believe they ever live long enough to reach the enormous sizes that they get to.

I bet NH could probably eliminate like 95% of their winter time outages by culling the white pine population entirely.

But they make epic roaring in the winter, and pleasant swooshing in the summer, so I love them.

Archived