Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Last post from me about the ukie. I don't care what the verbatim output shows. A 989 over the delmarva is gping to bring mixing issues for some west of 95. Me included. How much is hard to say. But historical data is strong showing the likely hood. And I'm totally good with that. It's a qpf bomb. If it mixes then sobeit. Most would still be thrilled with the outcome.  

Onto the euro. 

Yep, we would certainly mix in that scenario but I'd be totally fine with it as it wouldn't be a driving rain waiting for cold to catch up/watching the radar dry up. It'd be snow to mix to snow.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Superstorm said:

Couldn't ask for a better cold setup in March, let alone January or early February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always more difficult to get cold than precip here so yea there's reason to be bullish on at least a thump.

Just now, Paleocene said:

Agreed. At least you're above the fall line. I'm on a hill in hyattsville, but that only puts me about 150 feet ASL.  

Honestly, I'd be happy with a storm that mixes with heavy sleet. Seeing everything just totally coated in ice, or ice in snow snow layers, is cool.

3/93 had jagged edged sleet-chunks pouring down at the height of the storm larger than some hail I've seen before. That helped make that middle layer rock hard after the storm. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Last post from me about the ukie. I don't care what the verbatim output shows. A 989 over the delmarva is gping to bring mixing issues for some west of 95. Me included. How much is hard to say. But historical data is strong showing the likely hood. And I'm totally good with that. It's a qpf bomb. If it mixes then sobeit. Most would still be thrilled with the outcome.  

Onto the euro. 

I don't know why we should be surprised that things are trending towards what is the historical norm around here. Coastals do what coastals do for us. It's a balancing act of temps v track to get a big storm. And to get big totals usually means a risk of mixing p-types. And that is OK. The favorable areas will do well again and those on the edge will be again as well.

1 minute ago, Warm Nose said:

I don't know why we should be surprised that things are trending towards what is the historical norm around here. Coastals do what coastals do for us. It's a balancing act of temps v track to get a big storm. And to get big totals usually means a risk of mixing p-types. And that is OK. The favorable areas will do well again and those on the edge will be again as well.

I'm not surprised at all. I've lived in md for 41 of the last 48 years. I posted mostly in response to the verbatim analysis picking apart fine details. 

" The RPM model is our in-house real-time forecast model, and the letters stands for Rapid Precision Mesoscale model. The output allows the display of the latest forecast information on our television graphics. The model uses the very successful Weather Research and Forecast model as its forecast engine, a collaborative effort between a host of government and academic agencies. The model is run every three hours out to a period of 51 hours, allowing frequent updates to our forecast products, most important in critical weather situations. Like any weather forecast model, it has its ups and downs, but overall it has been very helpful for our weather forecast efforts. "

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/weather/ct-wea-0503-asktom-20150502-column.html

Just now, evaporativecooler said:

Interesting how much the qpf/accumulation varies between models at this range. From what I get this is an inherent feature of Miller B's. Is there a particular tracer we should be looking at to figure out when/where this will bomb out along the coast?

This isn't really a miller B though it's an A/B hybrid 

Archived