Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

It was looking okay per the HRRR through the 5z runs for you guys near the border, but 6z did a major downward trend in accumulation and it never looked back. Kind of sucks to see it play out like that. It actually did a fantastic job with regard to changeover times at long leads for the HRRR, but it took a bit for it to eventually catch up to radar trends. Hope there's enough snow for the Kiddo to make a mini snowman!

oh yeah, she had plenty to jump around in. was excited to wear her snow boots to daycare. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The kicker is that temps actually aren't awful. We went from 70s to low/mid 30s before 12z. The one thing we thought was a lock--qpf--busted spectacularly. :lol: 

Seriously, we won't know if it'll snow this season until we can visually confirm it in our backyards.

Yeah, but it was still low 40s when the main batch of precip moved out.  And some of the models that had us falling below freezing or even in the upper 20s this morning were just plain bad.  Remember the conversation yesterday about roads freezing?  My low is 34.9 and has actually ticked up from that.

10 hours ago, Fozz said:

But the recent disparity is still insane.

Hmmm...disparity in big events or just overall snowfall? Big events is expected. And, there really hasn't been a big disparity on overall snowfall on the average throughout the last decade. Central Park has an average of 33.8 inches in the last decade. Williamsport has an average of 31.2 inches. The big difference being last year when Williamsport was mostly shut out. NYC has the edge mostly because of large coastal storms (which we've cashed in on as well) that Williamsport is typically on the back edge of.

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

well yeah, for places like yours. But I still had hopes I'd do well. The lull from the hour of 5-6 really killed my accumulations. Was snowing pretty damn good at 4am, then again when it picked back up around 6am or so. But by then it was a lost cause, precip was on it's way out. 

Exactly. That's why I mentioned that those of us not along the Mason-Dixon could have used common sense and figured out what was(n't) going to happen. For folks further north it was a different situation, but it ended up busting there, too.

4 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Hmmm...disparity in big events or just overall snowfall? Big events is expected. And, there really hasn't been a big disparity on overall snowfall on the average throughout the last decade. Central Park has an average of 33.8 inches in the last decade. Williamsport has an average of 31.2 inches. The big difference being last year when Williamsport was mostly shut out. NYC has the edge mostly because of large coastal storms (which we've cashed in on as well) that Williamsport is typically on the back edge of.

I meant the disparity in big storms, which is much bigger than it normally is.

Also, for NYC to even average more snow than Williamsport for an entire decade is itself obscene. In 1971-2000, Central Park averaged 22", while Williamsport averaged 39". 

56 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Yeah, but it was still low 40s when the main batch of precip moved out.  And some of the models that had us falling below freezing or even in the upper 20s this morning were just plain bad.  Remember the conversation yesterday about roads freezing?  My low is 34.9 and has actually ticked up from that.

dick-punch.png

I think we should have known better though, we've had a couple of these in recent years

Remember Snowquester? The 10 inch snowstorm that ended up being cold rain? I think there was one last year too where it was a winter storm warning for not even a dusting.

Those stupid snow maps are useless in these situations. Lessons learned hopefully.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

I think we should have known better though, we've had a couple of these in recent years

Remember Snowquester? The 10 inch snowstorm that ended up being cold rain? I think there was one last year too where it was a winter storm warning for not even a dusting.

Those stupid snow maps are useless in these situations. Lessons learned hopefully.

It's understandable that folks would latch into the couple of decent runs that were coming out, but some of us (I won't say who ;)) realized that most of the region was in a bad place given the look. What's surprising to me is just how badly things turned out for pretty much everyone here. I figured there'd be a slushy coating on grass and mulch in my neck of the woods, but even that looks to have been optimistic.

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

You're right.  Boxing day was a soul crusher.  This is just a mere kick in the nuts with a steel toed boot.  

I just remember good to bed before march 2013 seeing this wall of snow about to hit D.C. and all the central VA folks saying it was dumping. Then I woke up to a dusting and was like What in the Actual F uck.

9 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This sucked, but I don't put it in the league of March 2013 or Boxing Day.  March 2013 will always live in infamy for me.

March 2013 was a dick punch, but Boxing Day ran us over, then backed up and lent us a hand, only to then floor it and hit us at full speed, leaving grease stains on the ground in its wake. What made it worse is that we hopped into the car to drive home from South Jersey just as the clouds started building in. Saw flurries all the way back.

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived