Newest Member
    joxey
February banter thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, mattie g said:

I think you mixed up my daughter with yours.

:lol:

Oh good, I'm glad I am not alone. My therapist (yes, I see one, I encourage all people to see one, its the best ever) suggested a calendar type thing where we list the things she needs to do daily. Like, brush her teeth 2x a day, clean up her toys, put her dirty clothes away, go to bed on time (a new battle we are dealing with). Then give her stickers for each task she completes without issue. After so many days of completing all tasks, she gets a reward. Whether its an extra hour on her ipad, or a new toy, or an extra cookie for dessert. Just something to get her to realize what the things we ask her to do have rewarding outcomes. Going to give it a shot and see how it goes. 

16 minutes ago, mappy said:

Oh good, I'm glad I am not alone. My therapist (yes, I see one, I encourage all people to see one, its the best ever) suggested a calendar type thing where we list the things she needs to do daily. Like, brush her teeth 2x a day, clean up her toys, put her dirty clothes away, go to bed on time (a new battle we are dealing with). Then give her stickers for each task she completes without issue. After so many days of completing all tasks, she gets a reward. Whether its an extra hour on her ipad, or a new toy, or an extra cookie for dessert. Just something to get her to realize what the things we ask her to do have rewarding outcomes. Going to give it a shot and see how it goes. 

We have friends who have gone with the calendar/responsibility/reward thing, and it's seemed to work for many of them. Others have said that their kids scoff at the notion out of pure spite. :lol:

We have little things that B's responsible for. We don't load her up with too much, but we try to find things that are reasonable requests that she can have some pride in. It's working alright, though there's no doubt she's a little sh*t at times. But she's just so sweet and cute the rest of the time that it's hard to be upset with her for too long!

Honestly, when it all comes down to it, I think kids that age are going to be defiant pain in the ass at times. We just have to deal with it!

Good luck on the new approach with K!

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

We have friends who have gone with the calendar/responsibility/reward thing, and it's seemed to work for many of them. Others have said that their kids scoff at the notion out of pure spite. :lol:

We have little things that B's responsible for. We don't load her up with too much, but we try to find things that are reasonable requests that she can have some pride in. It's working alright, though there's no doubt she's a little sh*t at times. But she's just so sweet and cute the rest of the time that it's hard to be upset with her for too long!

Honestly, when it all comes down to it, I think kids that age are going to be defiant pain in the ass at times. We just have to deal with it!

Good luck on the new approach with K!

Thanks! She loves stickers, so I mean, what could go wrong? 

Just now, mattie g said:

Nothing at all...as long as she doesn't love Sharpies, too.

I say this, and knock on every piece of wood I can find, she has never ever colored, drawn, painted, etc, on anything she shouldn't. Other than herself, and her bed sheets (one time). I've never had to clean stuff of the walls, or table and all that. I think i put the fear of god into her early on that when she colors/paints, it stays on the paper and playmat we give her. Nothing more. I've never walked in the bathroom to find her unrolling a thing of TP, or emptying trash cans, or playing in cabinets and all that. Other than a few instances of her dumping out every single toy she possible could onto her bedroom floor... she's been a really easy going kid

Seems that BOX is a bit looser with how they verify blizzards than our understanding down here:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 
800 PM EST THU FEB 09 2017

...SUMMARY OF BLIZZARD ON FEBRUARY 9 2017...

NOTE...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WERE STILL OCCURRING ON PARTS OF 
CAPE COD AND NANTUCKET AT THIS TIME. IF ANYTHING NEEDS ADJUSTING IN 
THIS REPORT IT WILL BE ISSUED FRIDAY MORNING.

A BLIZZARD OCCURRED ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND FROM THE LATE 
MORNING THROUGH THE LATE AFTERNOON ON FEBRUARY 9TH 2017.

THE DEFINITION OF A BLIZZARD IS THAT FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW 
REDUCES VISIBILITY TO BELOW 1/4 MILE ALONG WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OR 
WINDS THAT FREQUENTLY GUST TO 35 MPH OR MORE...AND THAT THESE ARE 
THE PREDOMINANT REPORTED CONDITIONS FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

WHEN REVIEWING WHETHER A PARTICULAR OBSERVATION LOCATION HAD 
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...WE COUNTED VISIBILITIES EQUAL TO 1/4 MILE 
SINCE THAT IS QUITE LOW FOR AN AUTOMATED VISIBILITY SENSOR TO DETECT.

AT BOSTON MA...BLIZZARD CRITERIA WERE MET FOR 4 HOURS AND 
34 MINUTES...FROM 1220 PM TO 454 PM.
09 16:54 N 16 G 28 0.25 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog VV007 18 16     92% 3 NA 29.51 999.2 0.05    
09 15:54 N 21 G 30 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV006 19 17     92% 3 NA 29.48 998.2 0.06 0.20  
09 14:54 N 24 G 38 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV003 20 18     92% 3 NA 29.46 997.3 0.10    
09 13:54 N 23 G 37 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV004 21 19     92% 5 NA 29.47 997.8 0.04    
09 12:54 N 28 G 35 0.50 Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

I'm adding this in banter because so many people seem to want to lean pessimistic for the period.  The mjo rages into 8 next week while teleconnections have the best look we've seen all winter.  Ensembles don't look the most favorable right now, but they have a week to sort it all out.  The long-range teleconnections all back off at the end of the month, but they've been so inconsistent at range. 

17 minutes ago, mappy said:

I say this, and knock on every piece of wood I can find, she has never ever colored, drawn, painted, etc, on anything she shouldn't. Other than herself, and her bed sheets (one time). I've never had to clean stuff of the walls, or table and all that. I think i put the fear of god into her early on that when she colors/paints, it stays on the paper and playmat we give her. Nothing more. I've never walked in the bathroom to find her unrolling a thing of TP, or emptying trash cans, or playing in cabinets and all that. Other than a few instances of her dumping out every single toy she possible could onto her bedroom floor... she's been a really easy going kid

You're lucky! B hasn't caused any permanent damage, but she does like to wreck house. Loves to dump out her toys and animals and "rearrange" them, has a tendency to spill when she's playing with water or paint, and had a blast making "spider webs" out of thread around Halloween. :lol: Other than one time when she was about 2, she's been good about not coloring on things she shouldn't - she knows better. But other than frustration at having to clean stuff up, it's not a huge deal.

She's also the messiest eater in the history of the world. Has been since the day she started eating solid food. Dog loves it, though!

Hopefully this doesn't come across as anything but sour grapes, but...

7 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Seems that BOX is a bit looser with how they verify blizzards than our understanding down here:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA 
800 PM EST THU FEB 09 2017

...SUMMARY OF BLIZZARD ON FEBRUARY 9 2017...

NOTE...NEAR BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WERE STILL OCCURRING ON PARTS OF 
CAPE COD AND NANTUCKET AT THIS TIME. IF ANYTHING NEEDS ADJUSTING IN 
THIS REPORT IT WILL BE ISSUED FRIDAY MORNING.

A BLIZZARD OCCURRED ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND FROM THE LATE 
MORNING THROUGH THE LATE AFTERNOON ON FEBRUARY 9TH 2017.

THE DEFINITION OF A BLIZZARD IS THAT FALLING AND/OR BLOWING SNOW 
REDUCES VISIBILITY TO BELOW 1/4 MILE ALONG WITH SUSTAINED WINDS OR 
WINDS THAT FREQUENTLY GUST TO 35 MPH OR MORE...AND THAT THESE ARE 
THE PREDOMINANT REPORTED CONDITIONS FOR 3 CONSECUTIVE HOURS.

WHEN REVIEWING WHETHER A PARTICULAR OBSERVATION LOCATION HAD 
BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...WE COUNTED VISIBILITIES EQUAL TO 1/4 MILE 
SINCE THAT IS QUITE LOW FOR AN AUTOMATED VISIBILITY SENSOR TO DETECT.

AT BOSTON MA...BLIZZARD CRITERIA WERE MET FOR 4 HOURS AND 
34 MINUTES...FROM 1220 PM TO 454 PM.
09 16:54 N 16 G 28 0.25 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog VV007 18 16     92% 3 NA 29.51 999.2 0.05    
09 15:54 N 21 G 30 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV006 19 17     92% 3 NA 29.48 998.2 0.06 0.20  
09 14:54 N 24 G 38 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV003 20 18     92% 3 NA 29.46 997.3 0.10    
09 13:54 N 23 G 37 0.06 Heavy Snow Freezing Fog and Breezy VV004 21 19     92% 5 NA 29.47 997.8 0.04    
09 12:54 N 28 G 35 0.50 Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

Blizzard, schmizzard.

They got smoked and we got light rain and a cold, dry wind.

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Am I missing something? They had 35+ gusts three straight hours from what I can see.

Mainly, using 0.25 mile visibility as "less than quarter mile" in some of the other sites they verified the blizzard at. As for Boston, the 30 mph gust observation at 3:54 pm would have given people (like the CWG) pause in matching the "frequent gusts" and "predominant condition" part. 

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Hopefully this doesn't come across as anything but sour grapes, but...

Blizzard, schmizzard.

They got smoked and we got light rain and a cold, dry wind.

LOL, I knew it would come across like that. I'm actually never upset at Boston getting snow (went to college there), only NYC :) 

Edited: The only reason I brought it up in the first place was because there was a discussion *in our region* after 2/5-6/10 about how LWX was being loose with their blizzard verification. We didn't think the observations at the sites they verified matched the definition. 

23 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You're lucky! B hasn't caused any permanent damage, but she does like to wreck house. Loves to dump out her toys and animals and "rearrange" them, has a tendency to spill when she's playing with water or paint, and had a blast making "spider webs" out of thread around Halloween. :lol: Other than one time when she was about 2, she's been good about not coloring on things she shouldn't - she knows better. But other than frustration at having to clean stuff up, it's not a huge deal.

She's also the messiest eater in the history of the world. Has been since the day she started eating solid food. Dog loves it, though!

I cannot get K to eat meat. She won't even look at it. Even mcdonalds nuggets, she won't touch. weirdest kid ever. 

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Am I missing something? They had 35+ gusts three straight hours from what I can see.

isn't it gusts and visibility? i honestly don't know....

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived