joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything, gfs/cmc have a decent gradient look from the maybe clipper onwards. Pac moisture up and over the top of the ridge out west streaming along. No a big storm pattern as shear will be in play the whole time but any embedded shortwave has a chance in this area. The long lead right now means op model shortwaves are just darts in the flow but as time closes on each one we may have something to discuss in the med-short ranges. Enough cold hp over the top where even a west track isn't guaranteed rain. Best of all...it happens inside of 10 days. 

28 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I like it. It was never going to be anything substantial. We both know these subtle little vorts can do neat things on models at very short leads. Especially once in meso range. The real fun comes Saturday when the RGEM drops 2-4 on us. lol

We really need this to boost morale around here.  I'm talking a basic 1 to 2 incher.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If anything, gfs/cmc have a decent gradient look from the maybe clipper onwards. Pac moisture up and over the top of the ridge out west streaming along. No a big storm pattern as shear will be in play the whole time but any embedded shortwave has a chance in this area. The long lead right now means op model shortwaves are just darts in the flow but as time closes on each one we may have something to discuss in the med-short ranges. Enough cold hp over the top where even a west track isn't guaranteed rain. Best of all...it happens inside of 10 days. 

Looking at the ridging in the east I would think we would be talking about a front end type deal with the lows passing to our west through day 10, at least per today's op run.

GEFS look good again. Events are scattered throughout time so no # window but overall supportive of getting the skunk off in some fashion. That's 4 gefs runs in a row and the eps looks decent as well.

The threat window is inside of 10 days and extends beyond. Probably the best length period we've seen all year. A mini wave train of sorts but coming in from the pac nw so general caveats....possible west tracks...moisture starved...blah blah. My optimism level is up though. The general pattern looks to have some legs for once. Enough to give us more than a one and done shot anyways. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GEFS look good again. Events are scattered throughout time so no # window but overall supportive of getting the skunk off in some fashion. That's 4 gefs runs in a row and the eps looks decent as well.

The threat window is inside of 10 days and extends beyond. Probably the best length period we've seen all year. A mini wave train of sorts but coming in from the pac nw so general caveats....possible west tracks...moisture starved...blah blah. My optimism level is up though. The general pattern looks to have some legs for once. Enough to give us more than a one and done shot anyways. 

I like that the GEFS mean at the end of teh run snowfall wise at DCA is 5-6"

22 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

12z ukie at hour 144 has a stronger low coming out of the west ...maybe ejecting more energy then cmc and gfs . Extrapolating doesn't appear it would cut either .

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

That would be the threat that the CMC and GFS suppress around day 7 and it is not going to cut, given the timing and the suppression of the PV to its north at that time that would either shear out, stay south, or be snow.  

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I thought this was an excellent GEFS run.  Like you said a workable pattern throughout and cold pretty much wall to wall.  Even towards the end it gets a little ambiguous with H5 height anomalies but its still cold to day 16 and showing a general support for our source region to be from Canada not the Pacific.  This doesn't look like a big storm pattern but one that we should be able to get some snow in.  We are looking at perhaps 5 threats total in the 16 day period and no reason to think one of them can't put down SOMETHING.  

Some analysis of the op GFS and GEFS show why the day 10 system has decent potential even if the op shows a NW track right now.  We often see a nice pretty op run but when we lok at the h5 there are reasons to be skeptical.  This is actually a pretty decent H5 setup.  Most importantly is the confluence to our north for a chance.  This system will be tracking into a high pressure with cold in place and some decent blocking to suppress the flow.  The caveat being the h5 setup being accurate but if this look is close we would have a shot regardless of what the op shows on storm track at this range.  

lottolike.png

The GEFS supports the general h5 ideas above and if anything would argue a further south track

gefssupport.png

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

2-3 inches?  Hmmm... guess I didn't look as close as I should have

ETA:  Ah... its from January 31st 12z to Feb 5th 12z time period... so 12z TUES is the starting time on Maue's map he posted

Cohen = Bastardi. RM--closing in on both.  Just my opinion. Who am I but a hit and run poster. Don't mind me...

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived