Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

True dat. Good run of the EPS just now imo long range. 

It's a good look for our area. It's not a dry look or a warm look. Hopefully we end up on the right side of something. Mean precip panels keep things active d10-15 in the MA/SE. We've had a lot of bad luck so I'm going with the WD index right now. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I'd sign up for the pattern we are going into for the next week or so.  I can't even remember the last clipper we had -- probably last Feb.  I know its cold and dry east of the divide, but man it works well out here.

Yea thinking of taking my son out there this weekend to play in the snow. Any suggestions for parks and sledding hills in the Davis or Canaan valley area?

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's a good look for our area. It's not a dry look or a warm look. Hopefully we end up on the right side of something. Mean precip panels keep things active d10-15 in the MA/SE. We've had a lot of bad luck so I'm going with the WD index right now. 

Yea I'm not interested in frigid cold. It's not like we keep snowpack well anyways. It's a stormy pattern and we're on the cold side of the boundary enough of the time to think it could work. I'll take that look over anything we have had so far this year. Just need of the waves to get under us. 

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea thinking of taking my son out there this weekend to play in the snow. Any suggestions for parks and sledding hills in the Davis or Canaan valley area?

There's one out in Blackwater Falls that's got a nice groomed area for sledding. I remember one of the locals talking about it at the park when I was there in October. That would be a great spot. Such a beautiful park. 

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

There's one out in Blackwater Falls that's got a nice groomed area for sledding. I remember one of the locals talking about it at the park when I was there in October. That would be a great spot. Such a beautiful park. 

Thanks I'll look into it. That's a little further from my direction but I'm desperate and my son is bugging me daily for snow 

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Great suggestion. Love that park, it is a gorgeous area.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Its good. Nice improvement from 0z. GEFS has been more bullish with cold and snow chances beyond day 8 so I will ride it....probably right into a lake like a sinking stone.

Nah, it's wait and see mode now. The chances of a big winter are all but gone. We have 6 weeks or so left to pull off an event that actually requires a shovel. This winter doesn't feel like the type to shut us out. More of a wait our turn in an overall uneventful year for most of the east. It ain't no 2011-12....yet. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Nah, it's wait and see mode now. The chances of a big winter are all but gone. We have 6 weeks or so left to pull off an event that actually requires a shovel. This winter doesn't feel like the type to shut us out. More of a wait our turn in an overall uneventful year for most of the east. It ain't no 2011-12....yet. 

I agree, the pattern looks good enough going forward and I am not at all pessimistic, but I do feel the pain of some here. My perspective is skewed some because I did have a great couple days in Rehoboth.

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes, as mentioned the Sled Run at Blackwater Falls State Park is great.  They groom and have snow making there along with a recently upgraded magic carpet that takes you to the top.

Canaan Valley State Park also has a nice tubing hill that is separate from the ski area.

2 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Yes, as mentioned the Sled Run at Blackwater Falls State Park is great.  They groom and have snow making there along with a recently upgraded magic carpet that takes you to the top.

Canaan Valley State Park also has a nice tubing hill that is separate from the ski area.

It is a great run.  Here's a vid so everyone can see that it's a legit hill:

Swallow Falls State Park has a small, free sled run going through the woods right next to the nature center as well.  No magic carpet or anything but sometimes they will turn on the lights in the evening.

25 minutes ago, das said:

It is a great run.  Here's a vid so everyone can see that it's a legit hill:

Swallow Falls State Park has a small, free sled run going through the woods right next to the nature center as well.  No magic carpet or anything but sometimes they will turn on the lights in the evening.

The swallow falls one might be more his speed. My son is still only 2 1/2 and that looks awesome but perhaps a bit much for him. A tiny hill and he will be more then happy. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Nice gefs run. The ridging over Greenland is back too. 

D10 to D15 look particularly interesting.  Snowfall mean jumps from 1.5" at D10 to 5.5" at D15.  

10 of 20 6"+ (all but one of these have the 6"+ occur in the D10 to D15 timeframe).

12 of 20 have 4"+

Hopefully D10 to D15 doesn't slip to the right and we're soon tracking threats on the OP within 10 days.

4 minutes ago, PaEasternWX said:

Do you feel with this type of system there would be a higher risk of a miss to the north or to the south 

were still kinda far out to get into that but it doesn't look like a very suppressive pattern so right now I bigger worry would be North but don't come after me if it ends up another Richmond special  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived