Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

1 minute ago, kurtstack said:

the long range is always a crap shoot on the models - some are probably being more critical of the long range models this year since it is all we have had to look at.  In other years we have enough short or medium range events to track that the long range model inaccuracies dont get as much attention.

There are some years the models do well with the large scale patterns in the longer ranges.Those are years though that don't have so many conflicting signals to sort through as we see this year.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Little clippers are really tricky. They typically aren't resolved until the vort is entering the conus and even then things can move around right up until game time. If it's dead on guidance sunday morning then I'll punt. Until then it's still alive imho. 1" would be my biggest event of the year so I could still score YUGE. lol

5 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

PSU alluded to this and I tend to agree but with what the models show at this point I think that Feb 6 storm is probably destined to run up to our north and west. Hope I am wrong but best case there may be that we see a front end thump to a dry slot. The potential follow up roughly 3 days later looks to have more promise at this time. Of course we are talking 10+ days on both these possible features so who the heck knows what we see actually verify.

It depends how all the energy ejects. Absent better blocking we need several weaker waves vs a consolidated system. The euro was split between stalling things out to our west and going nuts with the ridging in the east and sliding waves east under the boundary. 

The transient NAO ridge relaxes during the 2/4-7 period. GEFS has a cluster of storms that approach from the south during that time with departing cold hp. There's also a cluster with a lakes low so that's an obvious flag. However, a relaxing nao ridge is a pretty typical time for something more meaningful to work out. Beyond that the only saving grace on the GEFS is a basic ridge west/trough east config but the high latitudes look like poop again. 

After this winter so far, I would almost rather have a decent pattern in place with a couple chances of snow rather than being in the bullseye 5 days out. On one hand there is nothing to seriously track at this point but I'm okay with that, as long as we have cold air lurking around. We've had to many storms get us excited in the 4-8 day range only to see them disappear or go to our north or south. As to the long range, last I checked it is January 27. We've still got a solid 5-6 weeks to score something. Even if the long range screws us in February, we still have that outside shot at something crazy in the first couple weeks of March - especially west of 95. And given the fact that the patterns this winter have been so transient, I think the way we are going to score will be something that pops up in the 3-4 day range. It's really not worth looking at any specifics beyond 4 days this winter or any winter for that matter.... :) 

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Progress.  In 2 more weeks, we should be able to get it to consistently showing a day 8 storm.  

If I get 1" from the clipper I will not only have gotten my biggest event of the year but also nearly doubled my annual snowfall. With that kind of action staring me in the face I can't even think about d8-10. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

If I get 1" from the clipper I will not only have gotten my biggest event of the year but also nearly doubled my annual snowfall. With that kind of action staring me in the face I can't even think about d8-10. 

If there was a 2-4" snowfall amount on the horizon, like in 3-5 days, I'd allow a thread and pin it like it was last year's blizzard.  

22 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Let us know if the Euro will have it's usual semi-permanent 10 day storm.

lol

model pattern this year. Euro shows a 10 day snowstorm...no other model does. by the next run...its gone. Forever. until 4 days later when the euro shows a new 10 day snowstorm

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

d10 threat still looking pretty solid on the euro. If we can just figure out how to move it to day 9 it would help a little. 

I haven't looked at the surface but a glance at the h5 and 850 levels look nice to me. Yea it's day 10 but this threat actually is moving in time it's just the last couple runs it was clearly going to cut on the op euro. The gfs has been 12 hours faster also with this system the last few runs but it's the same threat.  I'm not saying that it's any more believable but this threat has been on the map in this general iteration for several days now. Some runs have less blocking or more trough in the west and a cutter. Others have this nice wave under the cold look. This isn't locked in yet but nice trends away from the cutter look yesterday. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I haven't looked at the surface but a glance at the h5 and 850 levels look nice to me. Yea it's day 10 but this threat actually is moving in time it's just the last couple runs it was clearly going to cut on the op euro. The gfs has been 12 hours faster also with this system the last few runs but it's the same threat.  I'm not saying that it's any more believable but this threat has been on the map in this general iteration for several days now. Some runs have less blocking or more trough in the west and a cutter. Others have this nice wave under the cold look. This isn't locked in yet but nice trends away from the cutter look yesterday. 

has a nice low pressuere system building into the great lakes too!

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

Just now, Ji said:

lol....back to 10 day storm. By the time it reaches day 1, it will be late march

It's really day 8.  Today is almost over and Mondays suck so it can be eliminated.  We would be tracking it hard by Thursday so it's closer than you might think.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived