Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, if it's something we haven't seen yet this winter, I'll hang on to it for dear life, lol If that lasts another 24 hours....something to watch, perhaps?

d8-10 is attention worthy. Specifics aside it has a few things working for it. Ensembles keep us in the game beyond that too. EPS holds the ridge pressing from Scandinavia into Greenland through d15. Just enough push on heights below to keep us in the gradient game. Not a dry pattern either unlike the one we're entering now.

25 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

SE crew seem to be less enthused about the EPS. Must be the CAD signature for them 

Unfortunately they are too far south for being on the right side of the gradient. Heights aren't suppressed far enough on the run. But we're ok for now. It was a great run considering everyone cancelled winter 24 hours ago. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Unfortunately they are too far south for being on the right side of the gradient. Heights aren't suppressed far enough on the run. But we're ok for now. It was a great run considering everyone cancelled winter 24 hours ago. 

Thankfully or we could be just cold and dry.  Yesterday was a 3 finger drink kind of a day...and I spread my fingers wide.

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's what happens when you disappear for a few hours. 

19 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Thankfully or we could be just cold and dry.  Yesterday was a 3 finger drink kind of a day...and I spread my fingers wide.

Yesterday was a 3 finger drink kind of a day

Never heard that one, but today is a a 2 fister happy hour day....whether or not theres any weather to talk about.....

and it sounds like we may have some.  Sure hope next week continues to bring us out of the caves.  Decent day of model watching today.

Here's to a great weekend all.  

Nut

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's all coming together. And inside of 10 days!! Lol

I remember back in the fall when evaluating analogs that 1999/2000 was high on the list. That was a year that sucked hard 90% of the winter but man did we crush that 2 week window and most remember it as a good year. Maybe we can pull off something similar. Hit one of these small events week one. Then pull off a big one or two week two then call it a season. We can dream right?

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I remember back in the fall when evaluating analogs that 1999/2000 was high on the list. That was a year that sucked hard 90% of the winter but man did we crush that 2 week window and most remember it as a good year. Maybe we can pull off something similar. Hit one of these small events week one. Then pull off a big one or two week two then call it a season. We can dream right?

Go big or go home.  Let's just hammer the next 6 weeks with frigid cold and snow.  Starting March 16, let's hit 65 and see sun for 55 of the next 60.

9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

There are several small chances before the day 9 system.

Somebody tell Randy we've got something inside day 10.

Nope. I said inside Day 7/8. Then I might be interested.    I always make this bet and win: if we're still talking about this threat on Sunday night, I'll make ji an admin for a day. 

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

These good windows in overall blah winters have been ushered in by the smallest event as the first one (think 1/19/05, 2/7/07). The 1/18/00 dusting to an inch was particularly notable since it was pretty much the original Commutageddon.

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

For those old enough to remember, 78/79 was not all that different snow wise. Yes it was colder than this winter,  but aside from 3-4" from a system that passed near Chicago Thanksgiving week, there was no snow of significance until the end of January through PDI. Then winter was done and warmth ensued.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived