joxey
January 7th/8th Storm Discussion

TauntonBlizzard2013

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

6-12"?

Yeah maybe...not sure I'd go 12, but 6-10 might be decent for ORH down to eastern half of CT....I'd want to see one more good model suite at 00z though to pull the trigger on that...right now I'd prob keep it at 4-8" or so. But I'm def thinking higher than I did 6 hours ago.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah maybe...not sure I'd go 12, but 6-10 might be decent for ORH down to eastern half of CT....I'd want to see one more good model suite at 00z though to pull the trigger on that...right now I'd prob keep it at 4-8" or so. But I'm def thinking higher than I did 6 hours ago.

Pretty freaking awesome stuff man. What turn of events. Should be a deep powder pack to try and thwart the torch next week

7 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Take take West West West amp amp amp and it still doesn't look any better in New Hampshire. Waaaaaaa

Im far enough south I can usually grab the scraps on these events, but I guess I almost don't count down here in tropics

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah it's odd. The NWS almost always is higher than what I have - sometimes by a factor of 2 - but today they seem really low. Almost like playing catchup. 

This is our forecast.

C1g18zFW8AAuawP.jpg

They've been roasted over the coals for being too bullish on a few occasions in the past few years, most memorably during the blizzard. Probably a little gun shy

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

They've been roasted over the coals for being too bullish on a few occasions in the past few years, most memorably during the blizzard. Probably a little gun shy

And the sick thing is some of the same areas may get more snow from this storm than the "blizzard of 15" where 24-36" was forecast, such as hartford back through waterbury and danbury..

Good stuff everyone. First post in a while, been mostly lurking. Exciting turn of events in such short term (and first real big threat for mby) drew me out.

Some thoughts:

• 21z RAP vs. 18z RGEM/NAM: note at 21z the 3 hr 18z RGEM/NAM have significantly more energy over KS/OK than does the 0 hr 21z RAP (or 1 hr 20z RAP, 2hr 19z RAP, etc)... this ultimately translates to a more negative tilt axis and more western cyclogenesis on the 18z RGEM/NAM... so a bit of a caution flag, despite the very convincing trend of 18z mesos

• Euro: If 18z mesos are correct, amazed how behind the Euro is on this within 24 hours

• Huge implications for much of I95 corridor: If 18z mesos are correct, huge implications for Philly-NYC corridor as well... was borderline advisory at 12z, now warning criteria for I95 corridor at least Philly north at least on 18z RGEM

• Why the abrupt change this close in: This is not a matter of newly sampled data entering from Pacific or Canada. Lends more credence to Tip's theory that models were keying in on wrong pieces of vorticity as triggers of cyclogenesis. But see first point above... that's assuming 18z RGEM/NAM are correct.

Archived