joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Man this snow is really accumulating. Ground and road are covered.

I can't be more than 5 miles from you and we are buckets of IP. Road and other bare surfaces are going white. Haven't seen a flake yet though. 32 with 93% humidity and  NE WIND AT 6. 

Just now, Jet Stream Rider said:

Have to cut the NAM output in half to get even close to verification in our region. I thought we all knew that right? :blink:

Thing is GFS and Euro were also showing a big storm leading up to this. It wasn't just one model.  If it turns out being nothing for most folks then all the models busted big time and the NW trend was a lot more than the models showed.

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Thing is GFS and Euro were also showing a big storm leading up to this. It wasn't just one model.  If it turns out being nothing for most folks then all the models busted big time and the NW trend was a lot more than the models showed.

NAM got it right, nobody wanted to believe it because it didn't show snow for them. NAM's thermals are mostly right with these types of cyclogenesis, maybe abit heavy on the QPF, but hard to go against the thermals.  

2 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I suspect that there will still be significant snow accumulation in the basic pattern depicted in the models, but it might be shifted by 10 -20 miles here and there. And there will likely be big misses, and a very tight gradient between significant accumulations and nothing. Agreed that the models are far from perfect.

4 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Hey guys, just curious. Reading through the thread seems a lot of you are upset. Have things been warmer/farther NW than expected? 

Here's model output from earlier today.  Had me around 6-8 inches still.  Lucky if I get any snow now.  Ground and 925 is fine but 850's are around 1C now. 

IMG_0489.JPG

1 minute ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

I suspect that there will still be significant snow accumulation in the basic pattern depicted in the models, but it might be shifted by 10 -20 miles here and there. And there will likely be big misses, and a very tight gradient between significant accumulations and nothing. Agreed that the models are far from perfect.

Line might be setting up along and just south of an axis parallel to NW Wake county line in the Piedmont of NC. A couple of fellow weather watchers in the same zip code are snow (within 5 miles) and are watching big beautiful flakes while I'm listening to pingers beat down the house. 

7 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Hey guys, just curious. Reading through the thread seems a lot of you are upset. Have things been warmer/farther NW than expected? 

I think the main issue is that there has been a ton of rain in areas that didn't expect so much rain.

I believe many of us in the RDU area are just barely inside the period when we were supposed to get snow--and now many of us are getting snow. Can't speak to other metros but there seems to be a crazy amount of variation even within the same towns. And there is a brutal "CC" cutoff line.

And keep in mind some of the more unhappy posters (even those for whom the main system hasn't landed) are very, uh, prolific, which can skew perception of overall unhappiness.

6 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

Somewhat. Mostly it's that Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta thought they would be on the right side of the freezing lines and have not been. At least not so far. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

2.5" here in Blowing Rock so far with rates starting to pick up. HRRR tacks another 8 onto that. Crossing my fingers I can see a foot IMBY for the first time by morning.

The increasing intensities across the upstate of SC will help the backside dry slot filter into sw NC fairly soon...I think this limit your area to lighter snow in the early morning hours to prevent a foot. Still a sig. snow nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Somewhat. Mostly it's that Raleigh, Charlotte and Atlanta thought they would be on the right side of the freezing lines and have not been. At least not so far. 

5 minutes ago, thess said:

I think the main issue is that there has been a ton of rain in areas that didn't expect so much rain.

I believe many of us in the RDU area are just barely inside the period when we were supposed to get snow--and now many of us are getting snow. Can't speak to other metros but there seems to be a crazy amount of variation even within the same towns. And there is a brutal "CC" cutoff line.

And keep in mind some of the more unhappy posters (even those for whom the main system hasn't landed) are very, uh, prolific, which can skew perception of overall unhappiness.

This is true, but in the Atlanta area the freezing rain is starting to make things hazardous with various reports of power outrages and trees coming down.  The snow/sleet & freezing rain transition line is bouncing back and forth along the Chattahoochee River in the Atlanta area.  There is more warm air aloft in the North Georgia than forecast, thus the prolonged period of freezing rain and sleet.

Wanted to share some cool observations before heading to bed.

Drove from Raleigh/Cary west to Pittsboro, NC on hwy 64 then up hwy 87 to Burlington, NC from around 4-630pm (errands in b/t)

RDU -> Pittsboro : precip picked up slightly, all rain 4degree temp drop from 41-37 (4-430pm)

left Pittsboro @ 5pm and 36 degrees. light rain

Alamance/Chatham line: first flakes visible

Saxapahaw @ 530: moderate to heavy sleet 34degrees

Graham @ 6:10 light sleet/graupel 32degrees

I-40 @ hwy 49 around 615pm switch to all snow.

by the time I reached home (Burlington/Elon) lull in precip.

It was very fun/interesting to drive through the transitions like that, they were noticeably abrupt

Precip started back at 9:15pm, all snow since then

we're avg. about 1"/hr. no mixing. 

I had a sense early on this thing would keep backing up NW and felt good about alamance co.

So far proving to be true. Fingers crossed for all my RDU and CLT friends.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived