Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but we are all like Charlie Brown with the football.  Tomorrow Lucy will yank the football, and all the models will show nothing (probably).

To be fair, the disturbance in question is currently somewhere over the Pacific Ocean and won't be over North America for another five days. So yes, we should expect many things to change between now and then. But the good news is, we have a pretty strong signal for a winter storm. 

4 minutes ago, Poimen said:

To be fair, the disturbance in question is currently somewhere over the Pacific Ocean and won't be over North America for another five days. So yes, we should expect many things to change between now and then. But the good news is, we have a pretty strong signal for a winter storm. 

I love his line. "It hasn't been sampled yet." 

Classic 

3 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Certainly.  I am not criticizing the fun in long-range model oogling.  More than anything I am trying to remind myself that too much focus for individual model runs will lead to insanity.

I am just a lurker here mostly, so I am wondering why some seem to think this storm signal is different from any of the other long-range fantasy snow?

26 minutes ago, GreensboroWx said:

This one has my interest now. I'm really worried(exited) about the 1050+ high...that's some serious high pressure and will funnel the cold, dry air very far south. Hopefully, for my area it will be cold enough for sleet/snow and not FRZRN.

My biggest worry too. With such a strong high, though, it would stand to reason those mixing lines would continue to be pushed further and further south. I wouldnt be shocked to see snow to sleet to freezing rain back to snow, like most storms here. 

42 minutes ago, GreensboroWx said:

This one has my interest now. I'm really worried(exited) about the 1050+ high...that's some serious high pressure and will funnel the cold, dry air very far south. Hopefully, for my area it will be cold enough for sleet/snow and not FRZRN.

Always good to see you post! Involved with the big ones with good synopsis and detailed posts. 

The upcoming event is happening with similar timing as the snowstorm earlier this month, poleward building ridge in the north pacific causing AO and even the NAO domains to become favorable. Just comes down to exact timing of all of these moving parts. But I feel its safe to say there will be a big storm just have to hope it's not a big ZR storm.

12-21 NPac Z500 anom.png

gfs_z500_anom_npac_126.png

gfs_z500_anom_npac_174.png

6 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Didn't look at the GEFS members but the 5h changes were much better then the past couple of runs.  Stronger block over HB, 50-50 better, deeper conus trough.   Mean looks good.

get_orig_img.php?model=gfsens&run_time=1

Baffin block is a good sign.  You'll see that feature in most big events for our area.

The GFS took a step on the right direction.  If we are indeed dealing with a 1050ish SHP building down, damming will be tremendous.   There was significant confluence over the NE which in turn have a secondary nose of SHP somewhere over the NE or NE Canada.  

In turn, further shifts or corrections southward would likely be in order, provided this idea is true in the first place. 

Archived