Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, packbacker said:

If the hemispheric pattern is this then yes...bottom is the Op.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_35.png

gfs_z500a_nhem_35.png

One thing I like with the top image is the position of the trough is farther east with us around the base rather than the right upswing. Still would like to see it a bit deeper and that western ridge looks a little flat, no?

As of now, the GEFS and EPS has the ridge weakening during the time of the 27th-30th system. Miller B possibly? I can see why some are asking themselves, how can a system cut with a high that has a mb more than 1040mb off to the north and east? I'm wondering that too. Things could shift further south as time goes on, especially having a strong arctic high off to the north. Still more questions to be answered.

Just now, StormLookout said:

As of now, the GEFS and EPS has the ridge weakening during the time of the 27th-30th system. Miller B possibly? I can see why some are asking themselves, how can a system cut with a high that has a mb more than 1040mb off to the north and east? I'm wondering that too. Things could shift further south as time goes on, especially having a strong arctic high off to the north. Still more questions to be answered.

Not only would it shift south, a low PV plus a NE snowpack will keep the air colder longer for the CAD.

57 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

One thing I like with the top image is the position of the trough is farther east with us around the base rather than the right upswing. Still would like to see it a bit deeper and that western ridge looks a little flat, no?

GEFS loses the -EPO.   Neither really have a stout PNA ridge.  EPS still has the -EPO/-WPO.ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_9.png

Once the GFS gets a clue and sniffs out an entrenched HP, are we going to then see a southern slider storm track pop up out of nowhere come Sunday / Monday? If it cant see the HP in place, it has to have the LP track completely wrong as well.  So what good is the new GfS outside of 7 days?  Seems like the common consensus is toss.....toss....toss.  This is getting old.

5 minutes ago, shahroz98 said:

With a 1040+ HP, will Atlanta have a chance of getting ice ? Also, aren't Miller B setups more prone to icestorms ? I havent seen a proper southern slider since Jan 9, 2011.

1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

So whats the forum verdict here? winter storm chances increased or decreased? 

Right now the GFS is still in la-la land with the set up, the big teller will be the 00z EURO unless the GFS finally gets its crap together at midnight.

40 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Once the GFS gets a clue and sniffs out an entrenched HP, are we going to then see a southern slider storm track pop up out of nowhere come Sunday / Monday? If it cant see the HP in place, it has to have the LP track completely wrong as well.  So what good is the new GfS outside of 7 days?  Seems like the common consensus is toss.....toss....toss.  This is getting old.

No one should buy what any model shows beyond 5-7 days. Because beyond that, the models have limited skill. Use models with caution. I agree, toss everything beyond 5-7 days.   

12 minutes ago, shahroz98 said:

With a 1040+ HP, will Atlanta have a chance of getting ice ? Also, aren't Miller B setups more prone to icestorms ? I havent seen a proper southern slider since Jan 9, 2011.

Can be some snow in a Miller B, but pretty much everyone would flip to sleet or frz rain.  Atlanta's in the game here 

2 hours ago, packbacker said:

By far the best GEFS run...the snow mean has to be a Mack special.  Haven’t seen it yet.

Looking at the Ens mean sfc precip and temps, it was colder for next week, closer to the CMC and Euro means...and looked nice and suppressed with moisture in early Jan. If we're lucky we may get more than one shot here like NCSNOW has mentioned 

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Think I've seen the statement, but does that setup on the GEFS contain similarities with Feb 2014?

GEFS/EPS I think look similar to these...those 3 winter events were OK.

I think many on here wants 88, you and points N want 14, and people SE of here want 89. 

8cprS3y.png

10 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Looking at the above broken out you can see why 89 is the most suppressed... 88 and 14 both had some form of atlantic ridge, which we will have I am sure as we get closer.  That's assuming there is an event at all for our areas.

4hteJKy.png

The pool of negative heights over the Great Lakes, an obvious key precursor feature for suppression, whether the NAO is neg or pos.  Nice work

28 minutes ago, packbacker said:

GEFS/EPS I think look similar to these...those 3 winter events were OK.

I think many on here wants 88, you and points N want 14, and people SE of here want 89. 

Wow, that's actually a pretty decent look when you mesh them all together. You can clearly see similarities. What's the link to look back on old setups? Thanks pack!

12 minutes ago, griteater said:

First one is Dec 21-Dec 31.  Second one is Dec 21-Jan 6

Man, member a19 is the shiz in this run. So you say there's a chance? LOL!

As far as the pattern relaxing after the 2nd week of January, I would be very surprised if it didn't. I can't remember a winter without a nice January thaw. A repeat of December in February would be awesome but against the odds. The way this Nina has played out, nothing would shock me.

Archived