• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

Keep in mind that studies have shown models can be off 10F or more with CAD events, especially in the extended range. What you want to look for right now is the HP placement over or near the Great Lakes to extreme Southern Canada and 1040+ in strength with nosing of the isobars into the region. It will be much colder than the GFS shows if that map verified. 

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Area's from Atlanta to the Carolina's need to watch this storm system carefully. It has the potential to bring significant ice accumulations. The GFS don't handle CAD events too well. May have to wait till the time frame gets into the NAM and other short range models to get a better idea on the CAD.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

The high position being depicted here is very similar to a huge CAD bust I remember back in college in the Early 2000's.  No forecast had ice for the upstate or GA the day before and it wound up being a crippling storm. I wish I could remember the date so I could look it up.

The infamous Larry Cosgrove bust? 

2 minutes ago, avalanche said:

Is the Triangle area out of the woods?

No. Sleet-to-ice-to "rain"--that's IF the CAD erodes as quickly as depicted verbatim here.  Many doubt that will happen as CAD typically underdone by LR models---especially at this range where many things are suspect still anyway

1 minute ago, burrel2 said:

Here you go.... Compare that surface look to the one the GFS is depicting for next week's storm, and tell me which one looks more ominous.

121512.png

15Dec2005.gif

Honestly, I don’t think that’s a great match, at least with the strength of the damming. My worst case scenario, with the strength of this high, is 2002.

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Honestly, I don’t think that’s a great match, at least with the strength of the damming. My worst case scenario, with the strength of this high, is 2002.

Yea, not a good match at all for the most part... but I'm more referring to how far north the parent high is in Canada. That set up had a weaker high much further north with very marginal mid-level temps and it still produced a doozy. 

Just now, griteater said:

This is one of 100 scenarios. GFS normally  gets too much attention 

Oh I don't believe it 'as depicted' by any means Grit.  It does look like more suppression may be in the future models though.  Trending like that a bit anyway

Archived